Zones

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
mike

Zones

Post by mike »

I was wondering if there are different zones in the county like

Zone A
Zone B
Zone C

Etc anyone know?
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

I believe that fire IDs are based on a zone, with the first of the 4 digit numbers being the zone that they are in. SD City are technically 3### or zone 3, and most of Heartland is 4### (zone 4), they just aren't using the 4 digits yet. So North County is Zone 1 & 2, south county is zone 5, and east/mountains are zones 6 & 7. Forget about CalFIRE and USFS/BLM, because they have their own numbering schemes.

I don't think that LE has any zones, except within the separate departments.
mike

Post by mike »

Tks :)
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Heartland also refers to a Zone 8. I don't know if this is in the same numbering system or not, but every morning they say on their morning summary, "Zone 8 coordinator - Chief 900." He is the chief of the San Pasqual VFD, so that zone must cover the northeast part of the County.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'm not sure if they're completely valid anymore, but the zones used to be -

Zone 1 - N County Inland
Zone 2 - N County Coastal
Zone 3 - San Diego
Zone 4 - "Heartland" (Eastern suburbs)
Zone 5 - South Bay
Zone 6 - (CDF?)
Zone 7 - Rural South (Jamul, Dulzura, Potrero, etc)
Zone 8 - Rural Middle (Mt. Laguna, Julian, Descanso, etc)
Zone 9 - Rural North (Palomar, Warner Springs, etc)

Every morning on County Red (155.0850), "Echo 1" would put out the burn information and get responses back from each "zone" on them copying the information.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I think Zone 6 is the Indian reservations. At least all of their unit numbers start with 6.

Cal Fire seems to have renumbered all of the departments that are affiliated with them with numbers starting with 7, so that has kind of muddled things up. Instead of the first two digits of the number indicating the department, the second and fourth digits are the station number (e.g. 7810 is at station 80). The second digit is the battalion area the station is assigned to. The third digit seems to be pretty much the same as the rest of the County, with 1-5 being engines, 6 brush units, 7 trucks, 8 rescues, and 9 medics. Chiefs and Battalion Chiefs are exceptions to this as they use the station number (e.g. Chief 79 at Palomar Mountain).
mike

Post by mike »

Tks for all the info