Emergency Alert

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
mike

Emergency Alert

Post by mike »

I was wondering if anyone knew if you could listen to EAS broadcasts like on the television on your scanner and if so does anyone know the frequency?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Well, about the best I know of it the SAME feature on some scanners.

http://www.weather.gov/nwr/nwrsame.htm

When an EAS goes out, it puts out a tone that wakes up the receiver..

I think you have to leave it on the correct NOAA channel all the time however.

You can get similar information thru EDIS. It can be sent to your email or your wireless device.

http://www.edis.ca.gov/

FREE as well.
mike

Post by mike »

Tks
N6ATF

Re: Emergency Alert

Post by N6ATF »

EAS just went nuts on all Cox Cable analog channels. The NWS broadcast had different digital tones than the usual, it finished, then it switched to KOGO, with a bumper promo, and back into Dr. Laura's show.
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

N6ATF wrote:EAS just went nuts on all Cox Cable analog channels. The NWS broadcast had different digital tones than the usual, it finished, then it switched to KOGO, with a bumper promo, and back into Dr. Laura's show.
You were watching Dr. Laura? :oops: Never mind. :mrgreen:
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Dr. Laura goes out on KOGO during drive-time.
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

N6ATF wrote:Dr. Laura goes out on KOGO during drive-time.
Just yanking your chain. :lol:
mike

Post by mike »

[quote="N6ATF"]EAS just went nuts on all Cox Cable analog channels. The NWS broadcast had different digital tones than the usual, it finished, then it switched to KOGO, with a bumper promo, and back into Dr. Laura's show.[/quote]

Yeah I heard that too it did the alert sound then the voice and then I heard the NOAA broadcast it was odd and no I wasn't watching dr. laura's show either lol :lol:
seargentslaughter

Post by seargentslaughter »

depending on what kind of scanner you have you can pick up tv frequencies that will get the EAS. I have an icom that picks up some channel between 2-9 that i know get the EAS. I cant think of the frequency though. wherever you are just scan around and listen up closely because i know you can still get tv audio and on an icom scanner with a tv screen you can watch tv. scan throughout the house cuz in different areas of my apartment i can get OLN or Vs whatever its called now
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Sorry, no more scanner listening to TV. The new digital over the air TV is, naturally, a new, different digital modulation, not receivable by scanners. For that matter, no more using the old Icom 'TV capable' scanners to watch TV, either, except for ham TV and maybe point to point video links.