This learning curve is steep! BCD396T

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
rvltch

This learning curve is steep! BCD396T

Post by rvltch »

Hi all,

Two questions:

Number one: I'm having difficulty wrapping my brain around the concept of Quick Keys on the 396T. I thought that they would be something like: push the QK # and all freq programmed with the QK # will be scanned. Not so, I guess... How would I set my favorite freqs to be scanned at the push of a button?

Number two: I'm attempting to scan Peak Relay Inc. (LTR) in order to find National Public Safety (a private security co). I've input everything correctly including the TGID that I got from here of 0-05-009 but I get a msg: Finding Cntrl Channel that scrolls across the screen. What's that all about?

Thanks in advance,

Richard L
Brian

Post by Brian »

two question.... see if I can handle this!

You have System Quick Key & Group Quick Key on the 396.

Read more about them. If you don't under stand it yet
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners ... ick%20keys

LTR System: To Program a new LTR system
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners ... 0test.html

For the 800 LTR system.

1.) You can put Otay and Mt woodson in the same 'System' on the 396.
Menu>Program System>New System>LT>

2.) Go in the settings(Edit Sys Option) for that system and set the quick key to a number.

3.) You can put those LTR talkgroups in groups (Group1, Group2) etc.
and have Group1 with a 'Group Quick Keys 1' and Group2 will be 'Group Quick Key 2'

Depends what you want to listen to on that LTR system.
Group 1 will be Security
Group 2 will be tow trucks
Group 3 will be Cement trucks

Talkgroup: 0-05-009 - National Public Safety(Station H) MT. OTAY
Talkgroup: 0-04-009 - National Public Safety(Station H) MT. Woodson

Then this would need to be in a 2nd System if you like. With that 800 LTR freqs system info.
Talkgroup: 0-20-009 - National Public Safety(Station H) Palomar Mountain

For the LTR system.
Make sure you tell each FREQ the LCN #
Set Frequencies>Sel Frequency>Edit Frequency>Input Frequency>Input LCN

Make sure the 'System' isn't locked out. Because you wont be able to use the System Quick Key to turn that system on/off.

If everything is setup right! If you hit System Quick key # It should turn on the 800LTR system.

Hope this will help you out! If not ask another question. or have someone look at the programming file if you are using one.
rvltch

Thanks, still working on it.

Post by rvltch »

I've programmed Peak Relay Inc (both transmitters) and I'm getting traffic but I'm not hearing National Public Service Security (the co that patrols my condo complex). I'm wondering if the Talk Groups ID are still valid or if they're even still with Peak Relay? When I scan by ID Scan ...nothing...when I scan by ID search...I get several different companies but no Station H.

Also, with the Palomar Mtn. transmitter I can't find the freqs and LCN to input that talk group.

Any help?

I really appreciate your response and I'm still working on Quick Keys. I'm thinking that I'm misinterpreting how the memory system is set up. I'm sure I'll have a revelation soon. I hope...

Thanks!

Richard
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes those National Public Service Security is still valid.

Another thing you could do. Listen to the Input freq for that LCN LTR repeater in conventional mode.
So you don't have to hear other traffic that isn't at your condo.
You would only hear the guard radio traffic that is at your condo.

Mt Woodson & Otay is on this thread..(was just Updated/Confirmed in the past month after listening for a month.)
http://scandiego.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=173

Mt Palomar is on this thread. (I last updated this last year)
http://scandiego.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=109

Security Thread.
http://scandiego.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1142
rvltch

O.K. I'm going to keep asking questions...

Post by rvltch »

Hi Brian,

You've been a great help so far. I hope that I won't wear you out.

I follow the directions in the manual (and that very helpful website) but the radio doesn't do what I expect. I must be misinterpreting something. So, can you step me through?

Under San Diego City, I successfully added San Diego Unified's Police Dispatch, two tacs, and the emergency freq. It scans fine. Now, I want the scanner to ONLY scan those freqs. How do I do that?

Thanks again,
Richard
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

If I'm understanding your question right... what you want to do is push the scan button until it says "ID SCAN". When its in "ID SEARCH" mode, it will scan the talkgroup id's that you've entered and any other talkgroup that pops up on the system.
rvltch

My BCD396t

Post by rvltch »

Hi,

Thanks for responding.

Actually no... There are, of course, hundreds of frequencies that can be scanned in the San Diego City System but I don't want to listen to all of them at once. My question is: How can a choose a group out of this system to scan without having to hear all the other groups. In the SD City system I have a group called SDUSD, in that I have four channels: SDUSD Dispatch, Tac 1, Tac 2, and SDUSD Emerg. I want to be able to push a button and have the scanner scan that group exclusively. That was my question. Thanks.

Richard
rvltch

An epiphany

Post by rvltch »

I just had an epiphany! I finally got the idea of how the Quick Keys work on systems. It's a matter of switching each system on/off with a quick key. By punching a few keys to turn off systems, I can keep just one system (or more) scanning. Now if I can just figure out to apply that concept to turning on/off groups.

My complaint is that it does seem rather counter-intuitive... why have to switch off systems in order to scan a system? Why not be able to positively choose a system or group to scan by choosing its Quick Key?

Every day the curve gets a little less steep.

Richard
Brian

Post by Brian »

ummm....

PStuart is right about that. "ID SCAN" & "ID SEARCH". Make sure it says "ID SCAN".

Lets say you have this in the SD City system on the 396.

Group 1 = SDPD (All SDPD talkgroups)
Group 2 = SDFD (ALL SDFD Talkgroups)
Group 3 = SD Lifeguards (all SD lifeguards talkgroups)
Group 4 = SD public work (all SD PW talkgroups)
Group 5 = SDUSD (The 4 talkgroups you want to hear)

To listen to only SDUSD. You would have to turn off Group 1,2,3,4 Then you would only hear 'Group 5'

On the 396 the bottom line would look like this
GRP****5*****

If you had the other groups turned on. It would look like this.
GRP12345

Look for. "Turning Group Quick Keys On/Off"
http://myweb.cableone.net/marksscanners ... 0test.html

To turn Group quick keys on or off, while scanning press and hold the Func button-don't let go. Scroll to the system that contains the group you want to turn on/off then press the corresponding number key(s) on the keypad.
Or, if you are quick enough, press and hold Func then the corresponding number key(s) on the keypad while the system is being scanned. Releasing the Func button will return to scanning (and searching).
Note: Any group not assigned to a quick key (and not locked out) will still be scanned.

If you are ever near Ham Radio Outlet store. You could stop in and they would show you what you are doing wrong on the 396.
http://www.hamradio.com/web/stores/sandie.html
Brian

Re: An epiphany

Post by Brian »

Cool :D You understand the 'System Quick Key' now :)

Moving on to "Group Quick Key" on these new uniden scanners!

Read my above post. I think you would under stand it better.
How the "GROUP QUICK KEY" works.

Say you are listening to SDUSD 'Group 5'. and you hear a fire truck speeding by the school. You would then turn on Group2 by holding down Func and hiting the #2 button .

rvltch wrote: My complaint is that it does seem rather counter-intuitive... why have to switch off systems in order to scan a system? Why not be able to positively choose a system or group to scan by choosing its Quick Key?
Richard