Failsoft on the No. Zone

Come here to talk about the San Diego and Imperial County Regional Communications System. This is a great resource to share talkgroups and information about the countywide RCS.
w6kru

Failsoft on the No. Zone

Post by w6kru »

I have heard several announcements today from Oside PD that the radios are intermittently going into failsoft mode. While this has been going on, I haven't heard any substantial change in radio traffic. I have done some searching and what I have found indicates that I shouldn't be hearing normal traffic because I only have the CCs programmed on my scanners. Anybody wanna help me out with this? What exactly is failsoft mode?

Edit: How does RCS handle failsoft? I see that several things could happen in failsoft, I'm just wondering how RCS handles failsoft.

Re: Failsoft on the No. Zone

Post by 800 »

w6kru wrote:I have heard several announcements today from Oside PD that the radios are intermittently going into failsoft mode. While this has been going on, I haven't heard any substantial change in radio traffic. I have done some searching and what I have found indicates that I shouldn't be hearing normal traffic because I only have the CCs programmed on my scanners. Anybody wanna help me out with this? What exactly is failsoft mode?

Edit: How does RCS handle failsoft? I see that several things could happen in failsoft, I'm just wondering how RCS handles failsoft.
Failsoft mode happens when the site or Zone controller stops processing.

The subscriber radios are programmed to default to one of the discrete channels in the site or zone (which becomes a conventional repeater), with (hopefully) all of the radios in a like agency defaulting to the same channel along with their dispatcher(s). The radio alerts the user that it is "in" failsoft mode by beeping and displaying "failsoft" on the display.

Don