Emergency Traffic Tone

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the San Diego Police Department. Post here for topics about general SDPD scanning, information and terminology.
KF6VGZ

Emergency Traffic Tone

Post by KF6VGZ »

I heard some ET today on Northern Disp. The tone is just a beep now. I liked the old ringer style tone. :x
mike

Post by mike »

yeah I think the new one is pretty cool though the old one was ok. :D
IronCross

Post by IronCross »

It reminds me of call waiting.
brandon
Site Admin

Post by brandon »

The new ET tone now being used for SDPD reminds me of the ones used by some depts in LA and Riverside. I still prefer the old one it was pretty unique IMHO.

Do any other law enforcement agencies have an ET tone that sounded like SDPD's ringer? I remember the Sheriffs had a ringer tone before moving to the RCS.
JoeyC

Emer Tone no more?

Post by JoeyC »

It appears the SDPD Emer Tone is no more. I heard the other day a dispatcher say that "we don't have the tone anymore" :cry:

Anyone hear any more about this? Wonder why it was abandoned. It sure came in handy to me narrowing down the interesting stuff while I usually have the SDPD scanner on at any moment.
2912N

Post by 2912N »

With the old tone you could talk over it (much as you can talk over the dispatcher....) The new tone did not allow for any traffic while it was doing it's thing. It has now been cast aside till someone figures out how to get something like the "old" tone back.

Why someone didn't realize this before...???
El Pablo

Post by El Pablo »

I believe this was part of a SD TRS upgrade that was done over a month ago. I always wondered how they were able to keep or have a similar tone when they went to 800Mhz TRS from VHF. It now seems to be inline with most Moto systems.
Steele

Post by Steele »

Emergency tones are not just nice, They’re a safety thing for officers in the field.
It’s not just a notice to stay off the air, but it lets every one know that there’s some thing going on .

And I know that SDPD wants one, because I heard a dispatcher testing two or three tones,
with a field unit on northwestern a couple of days a go. And from what I heard none of the new tones worked?

Like 2912N said “Why someone didn't realize this before...???”
Like Motorola!!!!

I bet other PD’s on other Motorola systems like the RCS would like emer-tones as well?
I know I love a good emer-tone, gets my interest going.

Steele