CDF modulation?

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
w6kru

CDF modulation?

Post by w6kru »

The comm guidelines from the firescope website shows most of the CDF freqs. to be using wide FM modulation? Is that for real? I have volume issues when I set my 396T that way.
SkipSanders

Re: CDF modulation?

Post by SkipSanders »

'Wide FM' as in, regular old NFM. 'Narrow FM' now means 6.25 KHz channel spacing.

Wide FM to your scanner is FM Broadcast/Non-Digital TV Audio, 75 KHz deviation.

Post by 800 »

SkipSanders wrote:'Wide FM' as in, regular old NFM. 'Narrow FM' now means 6.25 KHz channel spacing.

Wide FM to your scanner is FM Broadcast/Non-Digital TV Audio, 75 KHz deviation.
Partially correct [not 6.25 yet]. Narrow in the VHF / UHF community is a 12.5 kHz channel (compared to the existing 25 kHz channels).
The 6.25 kHz efficiency implementation date was postponed indefinitely.

Don
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

Thanks Skip. Thanks Don. It looks like I should just set the modulation to FM for these freqs. They aren't wide as in broadcast FM and they aren't narrow either. I searched the owners manual, an online "easy manual", and a couple of reviews for the BW on the WFM, FM, and NFM settings and couldn't find that answer. In hindsight it wouldn't be WFM so FM makes the most sense.