I figured out Win96!! ...somewhat

Area to talk about other police departments including: El Cajon, La Mesa, Chula Vista, National City, Coronado, Carlsbad, Escondido, Oceanside and other departments.
scanner_gal

I figured out Win96!! ...somewhat

Post by scanner_gal »

Last question: I don't understand the help directions of Win96.. For example, in regards to The talk group sub bank ID list, the help directions sez:

This does not make any sense at all.. I have more than 5 talk group ID's in the sub bank list. Also, why would Win96 only allow 5 sub banks to be "turned on" when there is 29 openings? (Do I make sense?)

C'mon guys help me out!! Because here is my sub bank list and only the first check box and radio button is checked.. what does this mean?

jkphotog1

PRO-96 Programming

Post by jkphotog1 »

The software allows you to enable or disable the sub-banks as your radio gets filled up. Since you only have the El Cajon system intered, you only need to have the first bank enabled, but the software allows you to enable them. The best way to learn the software is to get an existing San Diego file that can be opened in the software. You can then customize it to your listening habits.

jkphotog1
scanner_gal

Post by scanner_gal »

Thank you Mr Photographer, but your answer does'nt make any sense either.

In my earlier example, I entered the control channel for RCS SOUTH and closed it and put only El Cajon Police TG ID's.. Here's what my Bank 9 looks like again:

Note the sub bank channels: Only 0 and 1 are checked.

Now, in my bank 5, I have:

I'm sorry Sir, but I'm tired.. What does the check marks mean in the second example..? Why do you say the scanner is filled up when there is is more than 5 sub banks.. Why is there only 5 sub banks when in actuality there are 27?

Note that i have all 5 sub banks checked off.

Thank you again
astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

With the PRO-96 and PRO-2096, for each bank into which you program a trunked system like RCS in closed mode, you can monitor up to 150 separate talkgroups. Those 150 talkgroups are split into 5 (numbered 0 through 4) sets of 30 talkgroups (numbered 0 through 29) each. Each set of 30 talkgroups can be enabled/disabled separately. The radio butttons (round ones) determine which set of 30 talkgroups you're viewing/editing in the program. The check boxes (square ones) determine which sets of 30 talkgroups each are initially enabled for that bank (and will actively be scanned for) whenever the scanner first powers up. You can later turn on and off individual sets of talkgroups while the scanner is scanning, but I don't recall the key sequence to do that. For instance, you could put POLICE talkgroups in set 0, FIRE talkgroups in set 1, MEDIC talkgroups in set 2, etc. This ability to enable/disable sets of talkgroups can come in handy during peak times when you want to concentrate on one agency and don't want others constantly interrupting. Of course, you could also do that by putting them in completely separate banks, but that might be wasteful. Note that if you need to monitor more than 150 talkgroups per bank in closed mode, then you need to add them in a second bank (in which you use the same control channel information as the first bank).

BTW, I notice that you didn't checkmark "closed mode", therefore your scanner will not restrict itself to activity on the listed talkgroups and will instead stop on ANY AND ALL activity on the trunked system. However, the talkgroup tags (names) will be displayed using the data you entered. If you check the "closed mode" box, then the scanner will also restrict itself to activity on only those talkgroups which you enter. Of course, activity can occur on multiple talkgroups at once, but you can only hear one at a time. During peak times you can miss some conversations or some portions of conversations. Some people use multiple scanners each programmed with different sets of talkgroups to handle this. Some of the professional news hounds on this site have anywhere from four to eight separate scanners going at once.

Also, I suspect most of the users of this site use/prefer only Uniden scanners and don't know/don't care to know much about GRE scanners. Despite that, I my mind this site is definately the best San Diego County scanning resource. The Radio Reference web site, particularly the California forum, comes in a close second.

It's really a shame that the site admin didn't have good backups and lost so much forum activity from the last year or so.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

It's really a shame that the site admin didn't have good backups and lost so much forum activity from the last year or so.
You're telling me. I was using the PhpBB forum backup, but there was/is a bug with their restore....

Now we use an automated whole-domain backup. Keep you fingers crossed. :)
scanner_gal

Post by scanner_gal »

astrodanco wrote:BTW, I notice that you didn't checkmark "closed mode", therefore your scanner will not restrict itself to activity on the
Sorry, i fouled that up.. I should have print screened bank 9 that "is closed"

thanks