NEED HELP PICKING OUT THE RIGHT SCANNER, NORTH COUNTY

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
JS1466

NEED HELP PICKING OUT THE RIGHT SCANNER, NORTH COUNTY

Post by JS1466 »

I LIVE IN NORTH ESCONDIDO I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO HEAR THE ESCONDIDO POLICE, SHERIFF AND CDF. IM NOT SURE WHAT TYPE OF SCANNER I NEED. IF ANY ONE KNOWS THE CODES PLEASE LIST THEM FOR ME.
THANKS FOR THE HELP
JOSH
Brian

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the forum.

All law enforcement dispatch talkgroups on the county system is DIGITAL.
All north county fire depts main channels(talkgroups) is still ANALOG.
San Diego City Police/Fire as of this time is still ANALOG.

RCS County Trunked System: (A = Analog - D = Digital) on this list.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=499

ESCONDIDO POLICE, SHERIFF = Need Digital Scanner
CDF = Any analog scanners.
CDF(CALFIRE) also use some analog talkgroups on the county trunk system. and the Fire ADMINS talkgroups is digital.

Escondido Fire = Analog talkgroups (with 1 digital talkgroup)
Escondido PARK RANGER / Esc City Public Work talkgroups is all Digital now.

The lastest in DIGITAL scanners are
Uniden 996-Desktop-Mobile & 396-Handheld
GRE 500-Handheld & 600-Desktop-mobile

You can read more about these new scanners on these pages.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.ph ... n_Scanners
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/GRE_Radios

Note: The uniden scanners(996/396) are few years old now
Note: GRE Digital Scanners Just came out in Oct,2007.
Note: The county system will go all DIGITAL around year 2011.

It's very hard to pick what scanner you will like! UNIDEN vs. GRE

btw you can listen to these system online ( iTunes, etc)
http://www.scansandiego.net
IronCross

Post by IronCross »

Well Im very VERY happy with the Uniden BCD996T.

You would need a Digital scanner for what you want.

Hell I would spend the money and get one any ways.

I did about 6 months of price checking and the cheapest I found them for is:

BCD996T(Base/mobile): 499.90
http://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/index.a ... &ProdID=21

BCD396T(Handheld): 499.90
http://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/index.a ... ProdID=138

I Added the USB cable and would say get a USB extender.

I would say if you want more bang for your buck get the 996T.

SPECS:

Included with your scanner:

BCD996T Scanner
AC Adapter
Cigarette Lighter Adapter power Cord
Three Wire DC Power Cord
Mounting Bracket and Hardware
Din-E Sleeve and Removal Keys fo vehicle installation
Push-on type Telescopic Antenna
Remote PC To Scanner Cable DB 9 pin (not USB)
Owner's Manual
Free software/download version (Upgraded software is available. State, County, Fire, Police, Aircraft and much more preloaded. Click here to view)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BCD996T
Mobile Trunking Scanner with GPS Support and APCO-25

6000 Dynamically Allocated channels

Location-Based Scanning

TrunkTracker IV (Motorola APCO 25 Digital, Motorola, EDACS, LTR)

APCO 25 Digital

100 System Quick Keys

Dual-Color Display

Temporary Lockout

Dangerous Crossing, Dangerous Road and POI Alert

DIN-E Mounting

Multi-Site Trunking Support

Close Call™ RF Capture Technology - Instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters

Public Safety Scanner
Differences between BCD396 and BCD996

In addition to all of the features in the BCD396T, the BCD996T adds:

* Multi-site trunking
* Close Call Do-Not-Disturb
* Temporary Lockout (channels, search frequencies, and systems)
* Mobile form factor
* Startup Configurations
* Location-based scanning (GPS)
* Soft Search Keys
* Dual-color backlighting
* Single-hand function operation
* Close Call temporary store

Features

Automatic Channel Step — Accepts frequencies on any valid channel step, even if it does not fall within the band plan?s default step.

Frequency Step — Lets you select a frequency step (5, 6.25, 7.5, 8.33, 10, 12.5,15, 20, 25, 50 or 100 kHz) for manual mode and search mode.

Text Tagging — You can name each system, group, channel, talk group ID, custom search range, and SAME group, using up to 16 characters per name.

Data Skip — Allows your scanner to skip unwanted data transmissions and reduces the affect of birdies.

Duplicate Frequency Alert — Alerts you if you try to enter a duplicate name or frequency already stored in a system.

Memory Backup — If power is lost or disconnected, the scanner retains the frequencies you programmed in its memory.

Temporary Lockout — Makes it easy to temporarily lock out a system, channel, or frequency. The lockout is cleared when you turn power off, then back on so you don?t have to remember to unlock the channels later.

Startup Configuration — Lets you easily manage multiple configurations for your scanner.

Single-Handed Function Control Operation — You can tap the Function/Scroll Control to enable the Function mode. It reverts to normal mode in about 3 seconds from your last press if no other action occurs.

Record Out Jack — Using the appropriate cable and audio recording device with signal control, you can record live audio of designated channels.

Display and Keypad Backlight — Makes the display and keypad easy to see in dim light using two color options and six light levels plus off.

Vehicle Power Connection (Orange Wire) — Lets you connect to your vehicle?s dimmer circuit to also dim the scanner?s display with the vehicle?s dimmer control.

Trunk Tracker IV™ Operation — Follows unencrypted conversations on analog Motorola, Motorola Astro 25 (APCO 25), EDACS, EDACS SCAT, and LTR trunked radio systems, including systems in VHF, UHF, 700 MHz, 800 MHz, and 900 MHz bands. The scanner can scan both conventional and trunked systems at the same time.

Multi-Site Trunking — Lets you share system channels across multiple sites to more efficiently use the scanner?s memory and more easily select sites to monitor. 15

Control Channel Only Scanning — If the scanner is set to scan a Motorola system, you can set it so it scans using only control channel data. You do not have to program voice channel frequencies into memory in this mode as long as all possible control channels are programmed.

Adaptive Digital Threshold — Automatically sets the digital decode threshold for APCO 25 systems.

Location Based Scanning — If you connect a GPS unit to the scanner it can automatically enable and disable systems based on the Location Information (longitude, latitude, Range) that you provide.

GPS Non-Radio Based Features — The scanner alerts you to Dangerous Intersections, Speed Alerts, and Points of Interest that you program into the scanner.

GPS Display Mode — Lets you display extended GPS information such as
Distance to a POI, Direction to a POI, Time to a POI, Speed, Position, and more.

Weather Search — Lets your scanner receive your local NOAA weather transmission.

SAME Weather Alert — Lets your scanner sound an alert when a SAME weather alert signal is transmitted on a NOAA weather channel. The scanner also displays the transmitted alert type. This helps you quickly find out about severe weather in your area and lets you avoid false alarms.

WX Priority — Lets your scanner alert you when a weather alert is transmitted on a NOAA weather channel.

Service Search — Lets you quickly select and search the scanner?s preprogrammed frequencies.

Custom Search — Lets you program up to 10 custom search ranges. You can search any of these ranges imultaneously.

CTCSS/DCS Search — Lets the scanner search for CTCSS or DCS tones or codes on any channel or during a search. The scanner can identify up to 50 CTCSS tones and 104 DCS codes.
Dimensions:

7 1/3"W x 2 1/2"H x 5 15/16"D

If use with the 996T I would say get this antenna for the road:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=family
JS1466

HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ONE TO BUY

Post by JS1466 »

I WANT TO BUY SOMETHING THAT IS TURN KEY, HOW HARD IS TO PROGRAM WITH OUT THE USB CABLE. WHICH ONE SHOULD I BUY???
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

First, turn off your caps lock key. Preferably, rip it off your keyboard.

How simple any modern scanner is to program depends on how willing you are to read the directions carefully, and learn how to do it.

It's not simple anymore, because the radio systems we listen to aren't simple anymore.

The reason for using programs is mostly to make it easier, especially entering alpha tags for each channel, which gets tedious from the scanner keyboard.