Lo-Jack Chasing

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
Batman2150

Lo-Jack Chasing

Post by Batman2150 »

Anybody want to form a Lo-Jack chasers group? Lo-Jack operates on 173.075 MHz. The units can be tracked with any doppler direction finder or even simple directional antennas. Batman loves to chase Lo-Jacks. Think how exciting it would be to find a Lo-Jack car before the police with the suspect or suspects still in it!
WOW! :D :lol: :D :lol:
IPN911

Post by IPN911 »

Batman, you have some serious issues! 8)

It actually could be kinda fun. I sometimes monitor that freq and often get hits, but my bat belt didn't come equipped with a dopler directional finder. :cry:

Danny (103)
nobody33

Post by nobody33 »

That doesn't sound very safe. If you are looking for that kind of action, join the professionals. SDPD is hiring, and recruiting for reserves.

You are probally going to be spending most of your time in mexico, or chasing already recovered vehicles at tow yards, since the local police gets hits in the US fairly quickly.
Batman2150

Post by Batman2150 »

Well, I would join the PD, but I'd never pass the psyche evaluation. :twisted:

You would have to practice "Safe Lo-Jacking". Just narrow it down to within a couple blocks and call in the 10-20 to the PD or SO or whoever's looking for it. Not worth gettin' your head blown off just to recover somebody else's wreck. :lol:

And yeah, unionized firemen and cops hate competition from the private sector, and even from each other. If Batman were for real they'd find some excuse to lock him up. :lol: Hell, the cops in New York arrest the firemen all the time. :evil:
Unit 69

Post by Unit 69 »

I say we APRS the Batmobile, so we can know at all times where you are at...... :o :o :shock: :roll: your a KooK

Unit 69M 449.8400
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I understand Batman's interest. There's a personal satisfaction in finding it before the pro's with the right equipment do so.

Having found several first and one that PD gave up on, it's satifiying. Especially because I have no DF equipnment (like Batfreak, he's cheating). I can find 'em by "ear" using several different receivers that each exhibit a different level of sensitivity

I have a Vertex VHF that's very sensitive in the upper VHF band, a SPECTRA VHF that's that's a bit number there, an Alinco HAM rig that's downright numb at 173 (way off of center) and last but most importantly, just my BC250. The 250 being the worst receiver of the 4, will only 'hear' the blirps when you are in the same block as the target. So, by working down from the Vertex and a little moving around, i can quickly paint a picture in my head of generally where it is. Once narrowed down, it's just a matter of time until the 250 starts to chirp.

I've actually done some training with the Lojac rabbit.(training transmitter with a training code in a portable box). My record was 5 minutes.

The hits I've located were parked. I think a moving one would be much more difficult with my system.

If you chase 'em don't even consider any contact. Get a visual and split. It's just a hunk of metal and not worth getting hurt over. I'm pretty sure Batman would never make contact upon locating an occupied vehicle. I don't even bother to notify PD when I locate them. They'll find it soon enough. I just move on and smile...... :D
w6pix

Re: Lo-Jack Chasing

Post by w6pix »

Batman2150 wrote: The units can be tracked with any doppler direction finder or even simple directional antennas. :
You wuss! A real man wouldn't use DF equipment! I still do it the way they did it years ago.. long before DF invented his equipment... Learn to use your ears and judge a signal strenght.. The way we did it back before the automobile!
Batman2150

Lo-jerk chasing

Post by Batman2150 »

Well hay,

If you're BAT-MAN you have to have all the most expensive hi-tech gear whether you need it or not. My Ramsey Electronics doppler DF unit looks so cool installed in the Batmobile, along with the 1973 Midland crystal scanner with the blinking red incandescent lamps. Just like something out of a 1960's sci-fi movie!

BAT-MAN

Post by 318 »

I advise aginst a 'group'... The last thing PD needs is a bunch of looky-loos in the area while they are trying to conduct a hot-stop...

True... you, me, 120 do it sometimes, but that is just the three of us...

My two cents...

~318
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

318 wrote:I advise aginst a 'group'... The last thing PD needs is a bunch of looky-loos in the area while they are trying to conduct a hot-stop...

True... you, me, 120 do it sometimes, but that is just the three of us...

My two cents...

~318
I didn't even take that "group" seriously... Duh!