Newbie needs help in Ramona

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
dedapr

Newbie needs help in Ramona

Post by dedapr »

I can't seem to find the frequency for the local Sheriff or other primary law enforcement in Ramona.

I looked at the listings on this site and they give street address & other details, but no frequency info.

Can anyone help me in getting some initial frequencys in this area so that I can get started in scanning Ramona?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Since your asking for a frequency to program for the Sheriff, I'm wondering if you have a scanner capable of doing Trunked Radio Systems as well as one that is digital-capable?

There is very little law enforcement left in San Diego that is not Trunked. So lets start off by seeing what kind of scanner you have, then we'll go from there....
dedapr

Trunked ?

Post by dedapr »

Thanks for the reply and help Sean.

I see the term "trunked" used a lot, but I don't understand what it means. I did some scanning in the 70's and never heard the term back then.

I am using a Uniden BC92XLT scanner.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I belive you're out of luck. I don't think that scanner does trunking. You will be able to listen to CHP and CDF and a few other agencies still on conventional radio systems.

For an explanation on trunking go to the topic "HELP New Here' in the same forum you posted into here. I wrote up an explanation for a user with a similar situation.

Radio has evolved into a complicated techie world compared to the 70's!!!

To hear the Sherrif, you'll need a $400+ digital scanner
dedapr

Trunk Radio

Post by dedapr »

Thanks for the reply. I read the post and am starting to understand what it's all about. Yes, it sure has changed from the 70's!

Could you recomend an entry level digital hand held scanner w/ the features needed for 2005?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I am partial to the Bear Cat scanners (Uniden). You will need one that does Trukning. Trunking will, for the time being, get you county public safety except law enforcement with the exception of San Diego PD and a few other small agencies.

For most law agencies you will need a digital capable, trunk tracker. Such as the Uniden 785D or the 796D. They also have hand held versions of the same. With the Uniden line look for the D. I believe the current line from that company comes with integrated digital decoder boards. The first digital scanner that came out was the Uniden BC 250D. The scanner and the card were sold separately. I paid about $650 for the pair. The handheld BC296 is probably a little over $500. It's quiet a chunk of change. The Radio Shack scanners may be a bit cheaper, I'm not sure.

As for Radio Shack scanners, make sure you do your research and ask here from other users. They make two flavors of scanners in my opinion. Those that are easy to operate and those that are difficult. The Pro 95 (not digital) is a pain in the butt. On the other hand, every Uniden I've owned is simple to operate.

For a person newly exposed to trunk scanning setup, it can be a challenge. In the 'conventional' days you just plugged in a frequency.

Now you must do the following:

1. Correctly set up the SYSTEM
2. Program the talkgroup ID's
3. Program the alpha-tags for the ID's

It can all be done by hand, however, computer programming makes it easier. All of the current scanners have computer ports that plug into your computer's serial port. With the right software, you can do it on the computer and 'dump' is to the scanner. Also, you can get program files from other people in your area and just dump theirs in, forgoing the need to go thru the 3 setup procedures.

There are people here that will probably help if you have questions, or even send you their program-file.

If you're going to purchase a scanner, post a request for comments on the forum and see what others think about the model your looking at. I'll give you my opinion now, get a digital capable UNIDEN.