Best mobile scanner

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
mlee

Best mobile scanner

Post by mlee »

Hi, im in the market for a mobile (not the handheld) scanner, So i can use both at my desk and in my car . I live out in Brawley and there is alot going on out here- I have been researching for about a year and narrowed it down- to the pretty much basic nec. i want which is digital, apco 25, trunking, not into weather or air, rail etc. mainly fire pd etc. with all the drugs, border, glamis etc.. and my bday comming on the 21st of dec. haha what model would u recommend. I am very pc saavy so not worried about the tech. aspects. I am looking for opinions from u folks who have been useing em a while and know which brand and crazy quirks etc. you can recommend me or sway me away from.. gracias for any info mary ... im so excited. when i hear the sirens and helocopters out here and reading about all the crazy busts in the monday paper its like torture. haha im pathetic but what can i say its boring as hell out here ... :shock:
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

uniden 396 or a 996. even though you could port the 996 around, it's kind of heavy (7 lbs).
Steele

Post by Steele »

Hi marylee1126, there are two basic manufacturers of scanners
GRE who makes most of Radio Shack’s PRO series scanners,
and Uniden-Bearcat is the other manufacturer to think about. Both are
good scanners and many scanner buff’s debate this question. Some of
the most important thing’s for me are programming, programming and
programming. Since it is not something I can fix with a good antenna,
or a external speaker, Programming any scanner now days can be trying
even if you are only putting in the most basic info with all those text tag’s.
don’t get me wrong text tag’s are the greatest, but I still have to get them
in to my radio’s, and the RCS adds or changes TG’s and ID’s at lest once
a year. so software for programming is the biggest thing. Go to the
software company’s and down load the free demo program. Run them
on the old PC, here you can see all the different feature the radios have and how it applies to your needs.
I know this is not what you were asking but in my opinion this is how to get a good look at what you are going to buy.
Here’s a link to a scanner review page I thought was pretty cool.

http://www.scanningarkansas.com/reviews.html

Steele 8)
mlee

Post by mlee »

Hi- thanks alot for that.. !!! i will check that out.. right now actually.....
stupid husband.. haha i told him what i wanted for bday -xmas ( 4 days apart) SCANNER and named -listed on paper even- specifics.. but never got it.. punk.. claims he didnt know.. ?? like..ok? but.. have saved my ebay money ahaha so this will help me narrow it down alot... i almost cried tho. when i opened the box that i thought was my scanner and it was a car charger for my cell!!! but.. thought of the poor guys on Mt hood and folks who have rough stuff going on and am just thankful for what i have thats for darn sure..
take care, mary