Programing Bearcat 785D

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
Jeff D

Programing Bearcat 785D

Post by Jeff D »

I am trying to figure out the best way to program in the county system in my new 785D. Can all zones be programed in to one bank or do they all hae to be in separate banks? What type of system should I select when setting up trunking info?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Jeff,

You will have to set each zone in it's own bank. You'll probably want a bank for North Zone and one for South Zone. The numerous East Zones are a pain to do, and don't always yield the results you think they will due to the way affiliation works with the Smart Zones. Plus a lot of the major incidents that occur in the east will be carried on EMA talkgroups, you will probably hear them on N or S zones anyway.

Normally, I'd set up a S LAW bank, S Fire bank and the same for N law and fire, but how you do it depends on what it is your listening goals are.

Post by Guest »

I thought that might be the way I'd have to go. I guess I'd then have to know by geographical area, which talk groups belong in North, South, etc.

Also, re the other part of the question from the first post, when I am selecting the trunk type, what should I enter?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Motorola, Type II
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I posted a RCS N S E boundary map on the RCS Main Page on ScanDiego.com to help you see where things are.

Post by Guest »

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. Re Motorola Type 2, the scanner setup has several choices under type 2:

Type 2 800
Type 2 900
Type 2 UHF
Type 2 VHF

can you tell me which is correct?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Type 2 800 for RCS, SD City, National City, Harbor PD

Post by Guest »

Thanks, much appreciated. Any sites with this much help and information for other countys with trunked systems like Orange, SB or Riverside?

Jeff
Batman2150

sites?

Post by Batman2150 »

Well, there's a good one for Chicago. "Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association" or "CARMA".

I know...

Batman
El Pablo

Post by El Pablo »

I am wondering if putting the eastern sub-sites of the RCS in the same bank as the South CC, will allow you to hear traffic in rural areas when out of range of the South CC?
I.E., when traveling East on 8 and my scanner loses the CC of the South system, it would scan and pick up one of the other sub-system CC. Has anyone tried this on the RCS? I read about someone who did this in the Louisiana and said as he traveled, he would move from on CC to another continuing to hear traffic. Any thoughts?