Bearcat 246T files

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
thefish

Bearcat 246T files

Post by thefish »

Anyone have a file set up for San Diego yet? My 246 just arrived via UPS tonight.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

As a matter of fact yes I do :)

San Diego City
RCS South
RCS North
National City
Regional Navy System
Unified Port District
San Diego County

- Mike

BTW - I've had a chance to play with the 246T for some time now and it's absolutely a WONDERFUL scanner. Sub-banks with more than 10 channels and sub-banks in conventional systems make this revolutionary in my book :) Couple that with auto search CTCSS/DCS (without having to know which one it is beforehand) and Close Call and you have a definite winner!

I can't wait for the digital version!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The BC246T is the new non-digital scanner from Uniden released late last year ... The 396 is the coming digital version of the above scanner from what I read.

The 246T comes with some fantastic new features -

- No set bank size or sub-group size (Memory is used by channels and alpha tags and everything else ... They say 1600 - 2500 chanels/talkgroups typical)

- Close Call - Picture a frequency counter with a speaker that decodes CTCSS/DCS, finds the repeater output of an input, and stores these automatically or let's you listen in

- Instant CTCSS/DCS decoding without having to know if it's CTCSS or DCS beforehand

- Plus all of the other features you could want in a hand-held scanner that has a super-small form factor, a 2 line LCD (with 16 character alpha tagging), and surprisingly loud audio

Let me explain the channel layouts a bit -

Banks are now called Systems and a system consists of a trunked system or a gaggle of conventional frequencies

There are 10 quick keys (0 - 9) that can be assigned to one or more systems, plus an 11th (.) which indicates it's always scanned and can't be quick-key'd away

For example, 5 different systems could be turned on with one quick key or each system could be assigned its own quick key

Inside each system you can have groups ... Think of them as sub-banks on Uniden trunk trackers. There are 10 quick keys (Function + 0 - 9) you can assign to groups, plus the 11th (.) which works just like the system quick key. For me, this makes this scanner a must have for conventional scanning! It's the equivalent of having a conventional scanner with 100 banks! :D

On top of all of the features, it performs side-by-side with my BC296 in terms of performance and audio quality... I've dragged it all over the country with me and it works wonderfully!

I can't wait for the digital version and have already informed my girlfriend to be prepared when I buy one or more of em ;)

- Mike
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Bah! You went and removed the post I was replying to :P

It's ok though, I don't mind being an evangelist for this scanner 8)
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

OH! I almost forgot two of the greatest new features -

- ID Scan and ID Search are now a per system setting (rather than global)

AND

- You can set the scan time of each individual system ... For example, each of my trunked systems are set to scan for 5 seconds, while the conventional banks usually get set to scan for 10 seconds.

OK ... I'm done now :D
thefish

Unable to connect

Post by thefish »

Mike,
I've been unable to connect to the files you linked to. Can you check that link? What program are those files for? Any suggestions for programs? I've been using the Butel stuff with great success, but there's not a 246 program yet.

Thanks!!
John

Disregard! I tried to download for about 1/2 an hour with no sucess. As soon as I posted here they magically worked! And I guess that those files are for the Uniden program?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

:oops: They're for the BC246TUASD software from Uniden :) You can download the demo from this link and purchase the key from this link. The software is great for programming the 246T and well worth $40 in my opinion.

As far as the links goes, right-click on them and select Save as. It looks like they MIGHT get saved as ".txt" files where the UASD software looks for .usd files ...

The UASD software creates a directory in your My Documents directory called UASD_Database. There's a sub-directory in there called UASD_systems. That's where you'd put these USD files I posted.

- Mike
thefish

Perfect! Thanks for the help (EOM)

Post by thefish »

Thanks