new astrea equip?

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
mike

Re: new astrea equip?

Post by mike »

The new Bell 407 is refered to as Astrea 1 they were doing a missing person search in Chula Vista and I happened to catch the name.

Post by 800 »

mike wrote:The new Bell 407 is refered to as Astrea 1 they were doing a missing person search in Chula Vista and I happened to catch the name.
Actually, for the patrol birds the ASTREA number indicates shift, not air ship. 1 is the first bird on Days (3 is the Nights first out).
musician2111

Post by musician2111 »

Ya, the only ASTREA callsigns to be permenant are ASTREA 10 & 12. They are specifically the two helocopters which have firefighting capabilities and can be identified by the water storage tank mounted underneath. They use these callsigns regardless of day/time/shift. I THINK they also have the hoist/rescue capabilities. ASTREA has/had been considering which Make/Model of helo to switch over to. There were several considerations including what rating(s) the current pilots would have or need for any given scenario. I am not sure if they made a decision or if this 407 represents all future purchases as funds are available. Maybe an email to the ASTREA unit via the SDSO website would result in some good intel.
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

When do they change shifts? I have heard both 1 & 3 on the air at 4pm, on my way home. And, I have heard Astrea 4 on the air in the evenings. Where do they come in?