question for SDPD K-9

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
hodad200

question for SDPD K-9

Post by hodad200 »

Do K-9 units get more than 1 radio? meaning do they have RCS radios in addition to their City TRS units? or do they just have the mutual aid (Law south cmd, etc) programmed in their TRS units? it seems like they have the some of the better equipped patrol units (lojack, pronet, mutual aid freqs, auto roll down windows) among the motor pool.
2912N

Post by 2912N »

All the K9 cars have the digital radio in them. We have the county RCS system as well as the city system. The only "wish" thing is that we could scan the RCS freqs on the radio itself. (which is why many K9's ahve scanners in the cars...)

Other than the radios and the door pop system we don't really have much different than the patrol fleet. The big difference is assigned cars that just don't get the use and abuse of the patrol fleet. I just got a new car to replace the one that I got in August of 01. 7 years out of a police car ain't bad. (and it was given to a new guy...)
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

thank you. i was curious, listening to 10851 takedown last down and a San Diego K-9 popped up on law so cmd/el cajon pd. this makes sense now.
2912N

Post by 2912N »

One of the problems with having all the freqs on the same radio is not being able to scan them and to find them on the radio in a hurry. Always seems that they hide in some menu page!
mike

Post by mike »

I had a question I think SDPD had a VHF freq or two that they used to use and I was wondering if they still used any VHF freqs?
2912N

Post by 2912N »

Not to my knowledge. Everything has been over on the 800 system for years.