This learning curve is steep! BCD396T

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
rvltch

Now I'm getting it but...

Post by rvltch »

Your help has sped up my understanding of things. I'm able to set and use Quick Keys for the system and now for the groups. But, I'm still having trouble doing something: Setting up a system (or systems) that will scan just the freqs of interest in my area without having to turn on/off a ton of groups. Let's say that I want to be able to turn on the following:

SDPD Eastern
SDUSD Police
SDUSD SRHS Conventional
SD La Mesa PD
SD RCS South Sheriff
SD RCS South El Cajon PD
SD City Fire
SD RCS South Heartland Fire

I assume that I might have to put it into a separate system, or several since there's a mix of modes. How do I easily copy the groups with their channels to another system?

I have the software downloaded and ready-to-go from Uniden but I'm having trouble (yes...again!) with understanding how it works since there are no tutorials.

Richard
Brian

Post by Brian »

Looking at your list.

You would have 3 systems on the 396.

SD City (System Quick Key 1)
RCS SOUTHZONE (System Quick Key 2)
SDUSD/etc Conventiona (system Quick 3)

Each one would have a system quick key.

Just make "GROUP" on each system for all your talkgroups.
SDFD would be in one group. SDPD would be in another group.

Just repeat that for the RCS SOUTH (LaMesaPD, HeartlandFire,El Cajon PD)... etc etc

For other software look near the bottom of this list. Some are free :)
FreeSCAN & BcTool
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCD396T

8)

Have fun with it this weekend! :)
rvltch

more...

Post by rvltch »

Brian,

Thanks again. I hope you aren't getting annoyed with me.

I understand your answer mostly but I'm a little confused on one thing:

I'll actually have 2 systems (SDUSD is on the SD trunked system)

Are you saying that I should have a group named...say "Common 1", that would have all the talk groups that I want in that system? If so, then my question is: Will the talk groups also be under different channels in the same system? Will there be a problem having the talk groups doubled within a system? In other words: I have TGID 1234 in the group "Common 1" but it's also in the "SDPD" group.

By the way, I downloaded the BCTool software that you recommended and I'm finding it much more intuitive and easy-to-ease than the Uniden software. Thanks!

Richard
rvltch

I think I'm getting it

Post by rvltch »

Hi again,

I think I finally got it. That BCTool is excellent and I was able to set up two groups. One in SD City (called "Common 5") for my favorite channels there and one in RCS South (called "Common 6"). I gave them a Group Quick Key of 5 & 6 respectively. They scan just great.

I have noticed; however, that after loading that config into my scanner, the group name ( "Common #") shows on the radio but the actual names (Dispatch, etc.) are replaced by the TGID. I'd like to see the actual names again. Is there a setting I missed?

Richard
Brian

Post by Brian »

1.) You still need a 3rd system on the 396 for the Conventional stuff.

2.) Yes you can put in the same talkgroup ID's as many as you want.
Just don't go over your limit of 200 talkgroups on the 396.

3.) To see the Alpha tag or Talkgroup ID #. Hold down Func and hit 5 button.
or
From the website Easier to read Manual.
To toggle between frequency or ID and text display, Hold on any channel and press Func then 5. Press Hold to resume.
rvltch

Bingo!

Post by rvltch »

Bingo! That was it!

My only concern now is that, when I set all the group keys to off (except the one I want to scan), I'm still getting some unwanted channels with only a TGID that show up. I'm wondering where they're coming from?

Anyway, I'm well on my way to having this scanner set up just like I want.

Oops! Hearing a pursuit happening right now! See ya!

Thanks for all your help.

Richard
Brian

Post by Brian »

Since you only have 1 concern left :D

Make sure it says "ID SCAN" not "ID SEARCH"

ID SCAN = Only the talkgroups that is in your group list.
ID SEARCH= Scanning all the active talkgroups on the trunked system.
rvltch

Thanks

Post by rvltch »

Brian,

I can't thank you enough for all your help. It's only taken me a week to figure this thing out and I'm sure I'd still be scratching my head without your help.

Once you gave me a little "hands on" help, it all started to make sense.

Once again, thank-you!
:D
Ricahrd
Brian

Post by Brian »

Well...
Looks like you be ready for the next uniden digital scanner(396XT) with 25,000 channels. (Your 396T only has 6,000)

Glad the BCTOOL software is working out for you. Always heard good things about it. Can't beat the price!
IronCross

Post by IronCross »

Proscan is also good. I like it that its very user friendy and you can host your scanner. Its got Virtual Scanner, Band Scope, Send protocol commands to scanner, etc...

Proscan
Last edited by IronCross on Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.