BCD396T 3.02.02.scn

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
jjwool

BCD396T 3.02.02.scn

Post by jjwool »

I have been trying to update my 396 with the latest firmware. My current firmware is v 2. I have opened BC VUP 2.0.0.7. I tried to open BCD396T 3.02.02.scn but my computer (a HP 9910) says its unable to open this file.

Can anyone provide any guidance? I believe I had the same problem when I last updated the firmware and found some good instructions either on SCANDIEGO or RADIO REFERENCE. I've looked at both sites, but have been unable to find the information again and can't find it in my "paperwork" files. As I recall it was something simple.

I've read the various instructions, but maybe I don't understand something.

If anyone can give me any insight/help, it would be appreciated. I'm about to get a gun and put my scanner and computer out of my misery.

Tks in advance for any help! :roll:
w6kru

Re: BCD396T 3.02.02.scn

Post by w6kru »

This sounds like a Vista issue. If you are running Vista, you need to install VUP with administrator privileges.
jjwool

Post by jjwool »

w6kru wrote:This sounds like a Vista issue. If you are running Vista, you need to install VUP with administrator privileges.
Tks w6kru. I am running Vista. I'll give your suggestion a try.

John
Brian

Post by Brian »

You don't click on the *.scn files. You let the updater software do the work.
Just tell the software where to find the *.scn file.

Since you going from version 2 to version 3. You also will need to get a new registration key & select "Enable Major Version Up".

BCD396TFirmwareUpdate - Wiki
http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/U ... wareUpdate
jjwool

Post by jjwool »

Tks Brian and w6kru. I completed both of your suggestions and praise the Lord my computer and scanner have been saved! They don't know how close they came to getting it right in the processor.

Many, many thanks! I was getting pretty exasperated, to put it mildly! I know just enough to get me in trouble.

I didn't realize that the updater would do it once it knew where to look.

John
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

Glad you got it sorted out. Listening to NORCOM this morning? They've been pretty busy. I just heard that San Marcos has all of their med units tied up except for one and it is on the road.
jjwool

Post by jjwool »

I was so involved in trying to get the firmware updated, as well as frustrated, that I couldn't do much of anything else at the time. However I'm scanning now that I finally got through that! Listening, now, while doing some reading and paperwork.