Freq Question

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
rbahri5206

Freq Question

Post by rbahri5206 »

why do i get a really bad noise on freq 868.41250 every time the scanner gets to that freq it sound like a diesel truck running. it's on my S.D County freq's
w6pix

Re: Freq Question

Post by w6pix »

rbahri5206 wrote:why do i get a really bad noise on freq 868.41250 every time the scanner gets to that freq it sound like a diesel truck running. it's on my S.D County freq's
That's the data channel. You're not in trunk mode.

What scanner is it? You have to program the frequencies in as a Motorola Type II trunking system. You can't just enter the freqs in as you would for a normal channel by typing them in and hitting enter. If you do, it will just scan those frequencies and eventually find the data channel and stay there forever (or until the transmitter burns out). You have to tell the scanner that the freq belongs to a trunk system.

Totally depends on what scanner you have. On older Unidens you could just to thru the system freqs and hold the TRUNK button down for a second until an "M" appears on the display. That tells the scanner it is a trunk system.

If you have a Radio Shack scanner, I don't know off hand how to do it, but someone here does
rbahri5206

Post by rbahri5206 »

it's a pro 96 and i use the arc 96 software.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I hope someone else here will jump in. I don't know much about the RS scanners..

Double check the settings. Make sure the system is set to MOTO type II. There is also a toggle for SPLINTER on some of them. The S zone is not a splinter (the North zone is)

If you DID set up the trunk correctly, make sure there aren't any channels in that bank that just happen to be the control channel or other system channels that AREN'T tagged as trunk. It may be picking them up as conventional scan hits.

Someone here has a 96 and can perhaps give some more insight?
rbahri5206

Post by rbahri5206 »

hey thanks for the help i checked the things you said and it worked once again thanks.
brandon
Site Admin

Post by brandon »

Hi rbahri5206

I use a Pro-96 for my trips down south. I don't know anything about ARC but you can download Win96 and run it free for 30 days, enough time to get your radio programmed.

I have attached my basic file for San Diego. Feel free to customize and add to it.

Bank 1 = SDPD
Bank 2 = SDFD
Bank 3 = RCS South - Sheriff Dept
Bank 4 = RCS South - Police Depts
Bank 5 = RCS South - Fire Depts
Bank 6 = RCS North - Sheriff Dept
Bank 7 = RCS North - Police Depts
Bank 8 = RCS North - Fire Depts
Bank 9 = CHP
Bank 0 = Free, Not used

It's missing the east county system but I never make it out that way. You'll want to add it if you do.

Hope this helps.
rbahri5206

Post by rbahri5206 »

thank you very much that is very helpful i am brand new to this and today was the first time i heard a high speed chase in imperial beach and it was the awsome i think scanning is the best hobby ever and i have a lot of hobbys