Bait Car SDPD.

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
IronCross

Bait Car SDPD.

Post by IronCross »

So just saw it on the news that SDPD got up to the larger bait car scale.

Just curious where they will be working this from?

From 10 News:

SAN DIEGO -- Auto thieves beware: That car you're thinking of taking might take you off the streets instead.

The San Diego Police Department got a new tool Thursday in the fight against vehicle thefts -- a high-tech "bait car" booby-trapped to nab crooks.

The vehicle, which will be parked in high-risk neighborhoods, is outfitted with hidden cameras, a Global Positioning system, an engine "kill switch" and devices that lock in thieves and set the horn honking.

Police showed off the technology with a demonstration vehicle parked in front of the headquarters building. To avoid tipping off thieves, officials did not display the actual vehicle or disclose its make and model.

During a late-morning briefing, SDPD Chief William Lansdowne accepted the keys to the decoy vehicle from representatives of Allstate Insurance Co., which made the roughly $25,000 donation as part of a nationwide program.

"This vehicle and the technology that comes with it is going to assist us in further reducing the number of auto thefts," Lansdowne said. "In fact, if you steal a car, it might belong to the San Diego Police Department now."

San Diego is one of 14 U.S. cities to receive a bait car donated by Allstate, according to the insurance firm.
jjwool

Re: Bait Car SDPD.

Post by jjwool »

"Hope some of the "captures" make it to video. Other TV shows in the past have put them on the air. it sure is funny watching and listening as the crooks trying to figure out what is happening. Love watching the "bad guys" getting caught! :lol:
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

I believe there's a show dedicated to this. I do not recall where it was filmed. I do however remember silly graphics and false interfaces made for the show.
n2deep

Post by n2deep »

PStuart wrote:I believe there's a show dedicated to this. I do not recall where it was filmed. I do however remember silly graphics and false interfaces made for the show.
It was a TV show on Tru Tv, I believe it was a CHP Bait Car.

http://www.trutv.com/video/shows/bait-car.html