New antenna

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
w6kru

New antenna

Post by w6kru »

I stumbled across another 850MHz antenna on fleabay. This one is a maxrad 824-896MHz 6 element yagi with a claimed 9dBd gain. I pointed it at Soledad and it pulls in the south zone full scale. I now hear all 3 RCS zones and the city system with no issues. The antenna was $6 with $15 for shipping. Can't beat that.

Re: New antenna

Post by 800 »

w6kru wrote:I stumbled across another 850MHz antenna on fleabay. This one is a maxrad 824-896MHz 6 element yagi with a claimed 9dBd gain. I pointed it at Soledad and it pulls in the south zone full scale. I now hear all 3 RCS zones and the city system with no issues. The antenna was $6 with $15 for shipping. Can't beat that.
The 9dBd gain number looks right.
You're probably shooting past Mt. Soledad to one of the South zone sites (UCSDMC, Otay, etc.). (Mt. Soledad is in the North Zone.) :mrgreen:

Don
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

800 wrote:The 9dBd gain number looks right.
You're probably shooting past Mt. Soledad to one of the South zone sites (UCSDMC, Otay, etc.). (Mt. Soledad is in the North Zone.) :mrgreen:

Don
Thanks for the help Don. The map I have doesn't really show which zone the Soledad site is on. It is just sitting out there all by itself and it is way south of the indicated No. zone sites but it is right there about the 52 dividing line. Otay looks too far inland but UCSD is a possibility. I am pointing at about 150 degrees from the beach here in Oside.

Post by 800 »

w6kru wrote:
800 wrote:The 9dBd gain number looks right.

Don
Thanks for the help Don. The map I have doesn't really show which zone the Soledad site is on. It is just sitting out there all by itself and it is way south of the indicated No. zone sites but it is right there about the 52 dividing line. Otay looks too far inland but UCSD is a possibility. I am pointing at about 150 degrees from the beach here in Oside.
Actually, at about 150 degrees from Oceanside (I used to live on Fire Mountain) you are looking right down the coast at Otay.

Don
w6kru

Post by w6kru »

800 wrote:Actually, at about 150 degrees from Oceanside (I used to live on Fire Mountain) you are looking right down the coast at Otay.

Don
I see what you are saying Don. Otay is about 131 degrees and that should be in the pattern for the antenna and is more likely. I went ahead and tweaked the antenna a little so it is pointed directly at Otay. I listened to the South zone a little more today and it is rock solid. :mrgreen: