796D SOFTWARE

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
dedapr

796D SOFTWARE

Post by dedapr »

I just purchased a 796D & am new to all of this. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions for this forum as time goes by.

I have read that the Uniden software isn't the best available, but I'm going to use it at least until I feel more comfortable w/ the radio.

Included w/ my radio was ver 1.0 Do I need to download an updated version?

Any advise is appreiated. Thanks
brandon
Site Admin

Post by brandon »

I use ARC250 for my BC796. Unfortunately it's not free.

For free software nothing beats Andy's Programmer. It was designed for the BC780 but has been modified by third partys to work with the new Uniden models. It allows you to program the radio through an Excel spreadsheet which allows for very speedy data input.

You can get Andy's Programmer from the files section at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UnidenBC250D/files/
Along with the modified spreadsheet to allow it to be used with the 250/796 models.
El Pablo

Post by El Pablo »

ARC250 is money well spent. I have the basic edition and it is very powerful software. I would not have either my 250D or 796D without it. Plus, with shared files, its easy to dump other regions in your radio when traveling.

My 2 cents.
dedapr

ARC250

Post by dedapr »

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense.

I have downloaded the demo version and am having a few problems getting to run right. But as soon as I get the bugs out I will get the full version.

If for no other reason than everyone seems to use it & share files on it.

Thanks.