How was RCS Master List obtained?

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
astrodanco

How was RCS Master List obtained?

Post by astrodanco »

How was the information present in the San Diego County RCS Master List on this website obtained? It's rather indespensible information. Was/is it publicly available from some public or private agency (and and if so, at what cost)?

Is it available for download in CSV or fixed format somewhere?

Are the other frequency lists available for download in CSV or fixed format?

- Dan
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

No, nothing special. Just collected by years of monitoring by many people and collected from various sources on the internet and mailing lists like SoCalScan. Some of the oldest information came from books like ScanFan. Early on in the RCS, they had listings of the "easy" to ID talkgroups and hobbyists just took it from there.

When one is aware of new users or user changes on any trunked system, it's just a matter of going into Search mode on a scanner and listening to the talker's audio. For example, if you have the CVFD dispatch talkgroup and you hear the incident assigned to "Cmd 5" but you don't know Cmd 5, you search until you hear something along the lines of "Engine 55 on Cmd 5" and note the talkgroup. Once you have a few talkgroups, you can extrapolate the remainder by following patterns (all base talkgroup ID's are evenly divisible by 16), you program in the "div by 16" talkgroups around what you know and listen and fill in the blanks.

Go to RadioReference.com and see the same level of detail on a national level. Hundreds if not thousands of users putting in what they know to create a large database.

I'm sure there are missing talkgroups and errors in what is listed on ScanDiego.

About the most you can obtain from county website information, to cite one example, is talkgroup names. As far as I know there are no talkgroup numerics published anywhere. Go to http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/cnty/cnty ... /emerplan/
and as you read thru the PDF documents, you will see some charts showing radio plans. They list the alpha names of talkgroups.

It's just good old fashion detective work of hundreds of scanner enthusiasts.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Also, in a few months there will be a new book published that will contain an even more comprehensive scan directory for San Diego and southern California.

Go have a look at http://www.californiascanner.com/

Dan has a long history of putting out guides for other parts of the country that are packed with information for local scanner buffs.
astrodanco

Post by astrodanco »

w6pix wrote:No, nothing special. Just collected by years of monitoring by many people and collected from various sources on the internet and mailing lists like SoCalScan. Some of the oldest information came from books like ScanFan. Early on in the RCS, they had listings of the "easy" to ID talkgroups and hobbyists just took it from there.
Whoa, that's certainly the hard way!

Are the RCS admin talkgroup database and such documents as the "RCS Field Reference guide" confidential?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

astrodanco wrote:
w6pix wrote:No, nothing special. Just collected by years of monitoring by many people and collected from various sources on the internet and mailing lists like SoCalScan. Some of the oldest information came from books like ScanFan. Early on in the RCS, they had listings of the "easy" to ID talkgroups and hobbyists just took it from there.
Whoa, that's certainly the hard way!

Are the RCS admin talkgroup database and such documents as the "RCS Field Reference guide" confidential?
I'm not sure what those are? Are they marked as such? I may have seen the RCS Field Ref guide.. Is that a small book, with perhaps a green cover that explains how users are supposed to utilitize the mutual aid groups in different situations? Like a pursuit that leaves an agencies city and instructs that it be moved to Law N/S/E CMD ?

Post by Guest »

w6pix wrote:I'm not sure what those are?
Oh, okay, never mind. (Must be a touchy subject.) I don't know what they are either. Just saw them referenced in one of the documents found at one of those URLs mentioned earlier.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Anonymous wrote:
w6pix wrote:I'm not sure what those are?
Oh, okay, never mind. (Must be a touchy subject.) I don't know what they are either. Just saw them referenced in one of the documents found at one of those URLs mentioned earlier.
Naw, not touchy, I just really am not sure what they are.. Except that perhaps I do know what the field guide is. I'll check into it.
Batman2150

RCS Master List

Post by Batman2150 »

Nobody knows where all the info came from on the master list as it came from many sources. However, Batman has gotten the blame.
Lincoln3

Post by Lincoln3 »

Naturally...
Batman2150

Batman did it!

Post by Batman2150 »

Yes, Batman is responsible for all the leaks of RCS info. Just ask Stu.