Uniden 250 batteries

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
w6pix

Uniden 250 batteries

Post by w6pix »

I cooked the battery on my 250D over the last few days. I have it wired for power in the car where it usually never leaves. I put the battery pack in last week to take it out. When I put it back in, I plugged it in again. So it charged at full car battery power for about 5 days, no regulation, no shutoff. DUH!

Anyway, it used to hold 6 hours. I ran it down in 2 tonight.

So my question.. Has anyone used the supposed hi(er) capacity battery packs that HRO is selling for the 250, and if so, how much longer run time do you get???

TKS
fotoguy

Battery pack

Post by fotoguy »

I belive that battery plus will refit the old connector on a new pack (high capaticity) for a reasonable cost while you wait, you might call them or stop by.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I'll give 'em a call see what they want for it. I've actually rebuilt my own packs for the venerable BC-235 for myself and a few others. You can order NMh cells (with flat tops and solder tabs) from Mouser or Digikey, but now-a-days the prices I've seen for even the Uniden packs are so reasonable, it's not worth it.

But, I've never known them (Batt Plus) to have "reasonable" cost on anything. I have half a dozen handheld 2 ways and every battery I've ever bought from them, I find it for 50% less on the web. :( BUt in their defense, I've never walked in and left without getting the battery I need. I suppose they have to have a large margin because they probably don't sell that much volume.

Thanks for that idea. I'll give 'em a try.
fotoguy

oops

Post by fotoguy »

Now that I look I do have a "hi cap pack" and dont notice much change but i havent timed it. There are just so many variables to acount for its hard to do. If we knew the currunt draw of a unit in operation I could do some calcs and possibly optmize a capacity to charge time ratio.
amshooter

Post by amshooter »

I agree, I have one of the high capacity batts that I bought at HRO and haven't really noticed any big difference. I've been getting at least 8 hrs our of it in my 250D

Scott
Batman2150

Ni Cad / Metal Hydride

Post by Batman2150 »

Well, I can vouch for Batteries Plus. If you need it they have it.

I have found that Ni-Cads are far more reliable than NiMH. The hydrides I've used work just great for about two dozen cycles and then go totally flat. For me that's not very cost effective. Nicads typically run at least 300 to 400 cycles before petering out.

:shock:

BAT-MAN
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

That's wierd Batman. I've been using the same NiMH batteries for several years with excellent results.

Of course, the Lithun Ion batteries that my camera uses are the tops. They loose sooo little sitting idle for months, no memory and high capacity. I'm sure once the cost comes down on LION we might see them on scanners. Most new cell phones use them now.. Small package, high capacity.

I only have one handheld radio that still uses NiCads.
Lincoln3

Post by Lincoln3 »

'That's wierd Batman.'

Seriously, when in life did you ever think you'd find yourself saying this to anyone?
Batman2150

NiMH

Post by Batman2150 »

The NiMH batteries I used were Ray-O-Vac AA's. I built them into a pack for my dual band ham rig. For the first two weeks the radio ran all day AND all night on a full charge. The third week I was lucky to get 3 hours and they never came back to life. The NiCAD AA's I got at Batteries Plus are still cooking away after two months. The NiMH pack that came with my 250D wasn't much better. It ran fine for about a month and then flamed out. The NiCAD pack I got at Batteries Plus 3 months ago for the 250D is still working fine. The results may vary depending on manufacturer but I still think there are bugs to work out in the NiMH batts.

BAT-MAN
Batman2150

ASTREA NiMH

Post by Batman2150 »

Oh, by the way, ASTREA has been having trouble with the after-market NiMH batteries for the XTS-3000s. They are now switching back to NiCADs.
I don't believe the bugs have been worked out of NiMH technology yet.

BAT-MAN

:cry: