Brush fires burning near SR-52

Posting and discussion of breaking news in San Diego. Visitors to this forum are welcome to post photos, videos and other items of interest regarding breaking news incidents in the area.
N6ATF

Brush fires burning near SR-52

Post by N6ATF »

Passed by this on E/B 52. First saw a little smoke plume on the north side, then a big one near where over half the construction workers were (with a pencil-thin fire line and scorched earth behind it), then a medium one towards the end of the construction. Construction seemed like business as usual. A Lakeside ambulance was near the last one, as well as an unmarked pumper truck spraying water off the side. Then I saw a battalion chief coming up on the scene.

http://weblog.signonsandiego.com/news/b ... _sr52.html
Several small fires are burning near Mast Boulevard and state Route 52. Flames are also being reported between Santo Road and Mast Boulevard on the north side of the freeway.

The California Highway Patrol says the fires were reported just after 12:30 p.m. Firefighters are just arriving on the scene, said a dispatcher with the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.

Westbound state Route 52 is closed at Mast Boulevard and traffic is being taken off the freeway at the exit, according to the CHP.

Road construction was going on in the area of the fire, according to the CHP.
Chopper 10 was overhead, and I turned on 760 AM when I arrived at my destination. Chopper 8 reported 5 small brush fires, and the in-studio guy said they seemed to be burning themselves out.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

The fire is at 25 acres. They have county copters 10 and 12 and San Diego copters 1 and 2. Air Attack 690 is also on scene. The IC has just requested air tankers.

It's burning toward the landfill.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Now they're saying 50 acres.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

If only I had the gear... since I was on scene before the BC.