Major incident on MCAS Miramar last night

Posting and discussion of breaking news in San Diego. Visitors to this forum are welcome to post photos, videos and other items of interest regarding breaking news incidents in the area.
SkipSanders

Major incident on MCAS Miramar last night

Post by SkipSanders »

I was up, and listening to this, as all the stringers ran around the edges of the base trying to get stuff, much talk.

I believe the summary I got from the military was 1 dead, 17 injured.

Were you guys listening to the military trunk for this? That was where the base fire/rescue/ambulances were, announcing runs to various hospitals and such.
jkphotog1

Post by jkphotog1 »

The incident was worked on RCS North Command 5 for whatever reason. There was a lot was traffic and I have some of it on tape from the video camera. I have military systems in the ride but usually have it locked out and did not think to enable it since I was out of the vehicle most of the event. I also knew I would not get on the base for any video, so I got some medical aid video at Sharp Memorial in Kearney Mesa, and later an on base sound bite detailing the event. A news helo launched in the morning was unable to get a visual on the wreckage. I did see some stock footage of a similar 7-ton payload truck. The ambulances were entering at Camp Elliot near Kearney Villa east on I-15.

Does anybody know why the incident was worked on NMA-CMD-5?

Perhaps the best TG to use since the patients were transported to 5-6 area hospital, some up north and some south.

jkphotog1
jp186

Post by jp186 »

I've heard MCAS Miramar FD use NMA Cmd 5 quite a bit in the past. My guess is that for any incident that may require non-military resources they use RCS talkgroups. Makes sense considering no non-military agency that would be assisting them would have access to the base 400 mhz trunked system.
I also hear them using NMA Command 5 when they are out in the East Miramar hills. Could be a coverage issue for the base system in that regard.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

from mcas miramar pao

1 Marine killed, 16 injured in 7-ton truck accident

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, San Diego, Calif. (Feb. 10, 2007) – One Marine died and 16 Marines were injured when the 7-ton truck they were riding in overturned during a training exercise here at approximately 3:25 a.m. today.

All injured Marines were taken to local hospitals.

The names of the deceased and injured are being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

The accident is under investigation.

Point of contact is: Maj. Todd Sudmeyer 858-663-0050.