Deputy held in fatal shooting of wife

Forum for miscellaneous and non scanning related discussions. You can post about anything here, just keep it family friendly. Off-topic posts may also get moved to this forum.
N6ATF

Deputy held in fatal shooting of wife

Post by N6ATF »

Heard all but the SO traffic on this one... Heartland command/tac, med air, Sharp Memorial.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metr ... puty4.html
ALPINE – A sheriff's deputy was arrested in the fatal shooting of his wife during an argument late Thursday night in their home.
Lowell Bruce, 40, a deputy assigned to the department's detentions unit, was taken into custody after his mother-in-law called 911 to report that her daughter had been shot at 10:50 p.m. in the family's home on Camino Scarpitta, said sheriff's Lt. Dennis Brugos.
Paramedics took Maxwell-Bruce to a nearby school parking lot where a helicopter ambulance crew could land to fly her to a hospital, but she died at 11:48 p.m., before the helicopter could get there.
I could have sworn Mercy Air 6 was reporting "asystole... no signs of life for 5 minutes" to Sharp Memorial and the doc relayed through the MICN that time of death was 2342 hours, and MICN cleared at 2343. Earlier, Medic 25 reported respiratory arrest _before_ Mercy Air landed, I think, but the UT's timeline... ugh, what a mess.

Any breaking news department really needs to record scanner traffic and review it quickly before going to print or upload.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

you can't report on scanner traffic. hence it being "unconfirmed." at least any reputable media outlet would not.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

I've seen way too many blatantly inaccurate UT stories to even trust they can confirm the identity of a city's mayor.

Did they just make it up then (and keep it innaccurate til now, about 8 hours after the timestamp - 9:27 a.m. December 15, 2006) because they can't report on scanner traffic or can't be bothered to get an official time of death, and time of landing?

If they had included 'Mercy Air' in the story, that would be almost libelous, because clearly Mercy Air DID arrive, examine, report, and request time of death. The "helicopter ambulance crew" is not at fault for getting there too late, as the article implies.

From the injury described, it seems she would have died with anything less than a fully staffed trauma room at the scene.

Terrible thing all around.
:(
Control

Post by Control »

[quote="N6ATF"]I've seen way too many blatantly inaccurate UT stories to even trust they can confirm the identity of a city's mayor.

:([/quote]

I've listened to police and fire traffic for MANY years (before many here were even born).

I can remember MANY incidents where what I heard on the radios wasn't even CLOSE to the 'official story' released a day or 2 later.
jkphotog1

Media Fairness

Post by jkphotog1 »

While it is always purdent to get the police version of what occurred at a crime or accident scene, often the "official statement" can come several hours after the event is over. Much more if the event was a homicide or officer involved shooting. Often the news reporter will hear "The Sergeant already left" or "We already gave a statement and won't do it again for you" or, this is my favorite "Call the Press Information Officer on Monday...Border Patrol)" So therefore the reporter, to make deadline and inform the public HAS to use what they know up to that point. Often what is known to be fact is use of radio monitoring and eyewitness accounts, CHP Cad and other professionals disseminating information on the event. As the offical information becomes available, the new information can be broadcast during later editions of television news, websites or print media. I ran into this situation two weeks ago as the trolley hit a car that ran a traffic light downtown. Scanner traffic reported that several cars were racing just before the collision as the following car failed to clear the trolley was struck. It happened at about 8:30 pm and I had committed to supply video for a 10 pm and 11 pm broadcast. I interviewed one witness on camera that stated he saw the cars racing. In addition, another reporter got the same info from another witness. When the media asked for a police statement, the officers on the scene said a traffic Sergeant was on his way and would make a statement when all the facts were known. So I made the decision to go with what I had at the time. When the official version was released four hours later, the police made no mention of racing and stated the the 25 year-old driver ran a red light and may be charged with child endangerment, since two 13 year-olds were injured. Some stations used the official version and the stations I reported for, used my version. Both stories were fair and accurate, but since the information was taken from different sources, there was a different angle to the story. It is important to give law enforcement a chance to explain what they concluded, but it would do a disservice to the public to only report their side of the story.

jkphotog1
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Our engine went to this response with medic 25 out of Viejas due to us being on a call. Unfortunately the pt would not have made it even with Mercy Air.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metr ... xwell.html

Another set of facts screwed up by the UnTrustworthy.