Cops don't need shotguns, don't bother us. Chicago PD.

Forum for miscellaneous and non scanning related discussions. You can post about anything here, just keep it family friendly. Off-topic posts may also get moved to this forum.
SkipSanders

Cops don't need shotguns, don't bother us. Chicago PD.

Post by SkipSanders »

Think the Brady Bunch, etc., isn't after the cops' weapons, too?

Modern Chicago PD Policy seems to be that 'Cops Don't Need Shotguns'.

Unprepared on Purpose
Is the Department being willfully blind by under training it's officers? From the comments section:

I actually tried to recertify this year with the shotgun certification program but since Im no longer on a gang or tact team I was denied, even though I stated in my TO/FROM that I'd even go on my own time. I work midnights and thought it might be good to have an officer or two that was trained and certified with the shotgun since the gang and tact teams are all done by two, God forbid something serious were to happen where a shotgun would help out. Thats how much the powers that be really want to be prepared.
I recently left a certain unit(yes voluntarily) in which I was shotgun and heavy weapons certified to go back to a district and work the first watch(family reasons, couldn't do the rotating shifts anymore) and was told by the first watch W/C that I would not be able to re-certify because these things "were not needed on the watch." I guess being prepared and officer well-being is not needed on the watch.
Any W/C that would take this attitude is really begging to be put in the cross hairs of a post incident debriefing. Sadly, this isn't a unique attitude. Probably under a half a percent of the Department is shotgun qualified at any given time, and the shotguns supplied are pretty ancient Remington 870's. Fortunately, the Remington is a fairly low maintenance shotgun because the condition of some that we've seen is pretty sad. But still, unless you train with the gun regularly, you're more of a danger to your co-workers than bad guys.

We remain of the opinion that there ought to be gun safes in at least one or two sergeant's vehicles in every district with a couple of long guns, rifles and shotguns. There also ought to be at least 10 people trained on every single watch to handle these weapons. When you need these types of guns, you need them right away, not 10 or 12 minutes later. This is a simple, cost effective way of getting a little edge on the street in the event of a real emergency.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

So they're just out there with handguns? Not even ARs to replace the shotguns? Unbelievable!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ask the LAPD how well handguns do against people wearing body armor and sporting automatic weapons! Sheesh