Talking directly on RCS

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the San Diego Police Department. Post here for topics about general SDPD scanning, information and terminology.
SDnative

Talking directly on RCS

Post by SDnative »

Has anyone else heard SDPD units talking directly on RCS TGs in the last several weeks?

Last week I heard two different SDPD K9 units talking directly on El Cajon PD Dispatch as they were responding to a request for their assistance in El Cajon. Then today I heard a SDPD 1900 unit talking directly to CHP El Cajon on RCS.

I am fairly certain that no patching was done as I never heard a request for a patch to be established nor released.

So do SDPD units now have RCS programmed into their radios?
mike

Post by mike »

They may have access to certain talkgroups for certain incidents but im not sure.
IronCross

Post by IronCross »

Well I would say is that like ABLE and ASTREA can switch systems on the fly.

I think it would be the same with the K-9 units from any Department. Since they are valuable resources like the Air units.

I have heard Sheriffs on the City TRS and it was a K-9 unit. Then about 2 weeks ago there was a CHP pursuit and they had both ABLE and ASTREA trying to work it and it was on El Cajon CHP RCS TG.

Thats my guess...

Re: Talking directly on RCS

Post by 800 »

SDnative wrote:Has anyone else heard SDPD units talking directly on RCS TGs in the last several weeks?

<...>

So do SDPD units now have RCS programmed into their radios?
The RCS Mutual Aid zones are programmed in most (if not all) City radios. Many SDPD units have RCS LE talk groups programmed. This is not new.

Don
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

They were not on Mutual Aid TGs. All traffic I heard both times was on the main dispatch TG for that agency.

I know Able & Astrea have ALL of the freqencies in the county, and it makes sense that the K-9 and maybe PERT units also can go direct to other agencies, but the SDPD 1900 unit is a detective, and he was on the El Cajon CHP RCS dispatch TG reporting something that CHP would handle.

Just wondering if others have also heard one agencies units talking direct on another agencies channels without patching or using M/A.
IronCross

Post by IronCross »

From SCFD it says under SDPD - Special Operations - 1900-32 Units: Criminal Intel.

Maybe they got the power too..
2912N

Post by 2912N »

Some SDPD radios have the ability to go to the RCS system. All of the K-9 cars have been programmed into RCS since they frequently assist agencies that are on the RCS system. N patch is needed for them.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

haha i was scrolling down and thinking to myself that 2912N would have the answer this. i frequently hear k-9's come up on the main and say something like "so-and-so has a blah blah call, switching over." this was the case in an 11-99 call some years back at the sweetwater animal control facility. it was a san diego pd k-9 that reported it first on city dispatch, then rolled to assist.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Woah. What the heck happened there?
2912N

Post by 2912N »

If I remember right it was a 245 shooting suspect who wound up at the animal control office. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Several of us have scanners in the car as well so we can monitor other agencies. For some reason you can't make a scan list out of the rcs freqs that you can scan while on the city system. All over my head.