SDPD 211 Echo?

This forum is used for topics that specifically relate to the San Diego Police Department. Post here for topics about general SDPD scanning, information and terminology.
dangitdoug

SDPD 211 Echo?

Post by dangitdoug »

I have heard this once in awhile. Anybody know what it refers to? Responding units are instructed to switch to a common channel when the call is dispatched. REsponding units seem to have Lojack type equipment on board.

Doug K :?:
jkphotog1

211 Echo

Post by jkphotog1 »

The bait money, usually from a bank robbery has a transmitter imbedded somewhere in the stack. This enables the police to track the directions and whereabouts of the 211 suspect.
w6pix

Re: SDPD 211 Echo?

Post by w6pix »

dangitdoug wrote: REsponding units seem to have Lojack type equipment on board.

It's called PRONET. Only uses 3 antennas. When you see PD cars, 4 antenna is LOJAC and 3 is PRONET, so you can tell which is which.

Pronet has receivers around the county and SDPD has a big wall map with lights representing each receiver. They can tell which area is receiving the PRONET and direct ground units to the area. Units also have, in addition to the dash receiver, a handheld detector for searching more locally.

Here are some pix that I was able to find from a PRONET vehicle I shot about 4 years ago..

http://www.scandiego.com/PRONET/index.htm
dangitdoug

Post by dangitdoug »

Thanks Sean. Somehow, I just had a feeling you would have the answer.

Doug K
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

w6pix wrote:
dangitdoug wrote: REsponding units seem to have Lojack type equipment on board.

It's called PRONET. Only uses 3 antennas. When you see PD cars, 4 antenna is LOJAC and 3 is PRONET, so you can tell which is which.

Pronet has receivers around the county and SDPD has a big wall map with lights representing each receiver. They can tell which area is receiving the PRONET and direct ground units to the area. Units also have, in addition to the dash receiver, a handheld detector for searching more locally.

Here are some pix that I was able to find from a PRONET vehicle I shot about 4 years ago..

http://www.scandiego.com/PRONET/index.htm
this is exactly correct. my first ride-along we got a 211 echo and the officer gave me an in-depth tutorial. needless to say, a few months later when i heard a 211 echo call and decided to ask the watch commander as to where it was being picked up (they never give specific locations, always "location 3 or location 22"), he responded with something to the effect that, "uh, that's sensitive information." lol.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

hodad200 wrote: he responded with something to the effect that, "uh, that's sensitive information." lol.
The Watch Cmdr was just following policy.

In the SDPD Sergeant’s manual it states:

""PTS (PRONET) units will not discuss the PTS system, equipment, techniques and procedures with suspect(s), the media, or the general public. PTS tracking techniques and procedures are your tactical advantage, DON'T GIVE THEM AWAY. ""
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

nice :)
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Yes usually if you have a question Sean is the one to ask.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Cool, thanks.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

they had one this afternoon, an echo call downtown, signal strength 45. it was over quick tho, signal just went away. seems like they usually work them on CityTac1.