Copter 1?

Topics about scanning the San Diego Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other SDFD related material.
ChrisK

Copter 1?

Post by ChrisK »

There is a helicopter parked in Copter 1's space at Montgomery Field with Canadian registration letters and Copter 1 is not there. Anybody know what's going on there?

I'm wondering if Copter 1 is in for maintenance and this is some kind of loaner. It doesn't have a water tank.
fotoguy

Post by fotoguy »

Im sure you right, the Copter 1 helo came from canada so I sure this is a loaner back up.
fotoguy

Post by fotoguy »

I found out that the Helo on the pad is a temp. "Copter 1" is being up fit with a FLIR and a microwave video downlink.
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I rode in that "temp" bird today during the drill for some aerial pix of the event. It "feels" Canadian. It's all wood panel inside. Kinda strange.

I'll have them up in the event photos in several days. I'll post the link here if anyone wants to check the Wildland Drill out.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Were they using a water bucket in the drill, since the Canadian helicopter doesn't have a water tank?

I can see where a FLIR would be useful, but I wonder why a TV downlink. Who will they transmit to?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

ChrisK wrote:Were they using a water bucket in the drill, since the Canadian helicopter doesn't have a water tank?

I can see where a FLIR would be useful, but I wonder why a TV downlink. Who will they transmit to?
Yeah, the Bambi bucket..

Downlink to a command trailer is most likley. Homeland Security grants have been pouring out since 9/11. That's probably where it came from.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Copter 1 is back in service with a very prominent FLIR apparatus attached under the nose.