Medic Rescues

Topics about scanning the San Diego Fire Department. Here you can find regularly updated information about new stations, apparatus, news and other SDFD related material.
ChrisK

Medic Rescues

Post by ChrisK »

SDFD seems to be using Medic Rescues again. I have heard dispatches for MR 9 and 37 today. They had them a few years ago, but they went away. I guess they're back now. I wonder if they are using the old rigs again, or if they're new.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Would that be an apparatus like an ambulance but also with rescue tools stored in exterior units? I've never seen one before.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

The rigs they used before were larger than regular medic units. I assume they carried extra equipment. If I recall correctly, there were MR units at stations 9, 24, and 33 previously.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

There's a picture of a medic rescue rig at the following web page. At least this is what they used to look like.

http://www.sandiego.gov/fireandems/safety/para.shtml
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Oh yeah, I've seen at least one recently!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I thought they dropped the idea originally because they weren't being used as "rescues" and just shuffled around like regular medics plus the ride was supposed to be bad in them. I know they gave a rig to Copter 1 to use and I thought the rest were sold/given away?
codethree

Post by codethree »

I've heard the dispatches too...in fact I was in Kearny Mesa when Medic Rescue 37 was dispatched...it came rolling right by me but was a standard medic unit, not like the rigs they've used in the past
thefish

Here's the answer

Post by thefish »

The new medic rescues simply denote that there's a firefighter on board, with turnouts, a BA and forcible entry tools. They still have a R/M EMT driver. I'm not exactly sure what good one firefighter does for you, but they've decided to call them something different.
jp186

Re: Here's the answer

Post by jp186 »

thefish wrote:The new medic rescues simply denote that there's a firefighter on board, with turnouts, a BA and forcible entry tools. They still have a R/M EMT driver. I'm not exactly sure what good one firefighter does for you, but they've decided to call them something different.
I will quote you when the union tries to fight any attempts to reduce engine/truck staffing from 4 to 3. :wink:
thefish

Re: Here's the answer

Post by thefish »

jp186 wrote:
thefish wrote:The new medic rescues simply denote that there's a firefighter on board, with turnouts, a BA and forcible entry tools. They still have a R/M EMT driver. I'm not exactly sure what good one firefighter does for you, but they've decided to call them something different.
I will quote you when the union tries to fight any attempts to reduce engine/truck staffing from 4 to 3. :wink:
Now that's a whole different story... the one firefighter there is half the firefighting team. On a medic rescue it creates a dangerous situation where there's a firefighter with no partner.