North Comm assigning tac channels only

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
jp186

North Comm assigning tac channels only

Post by jp186 »

I noticed that North Comm and Escondido are now assigning a tac channel only to calls. Units are now communicating to dispatch on the assigned tac channel as opposed to a command channel. Anybody have an idea why?

I thought it could be related to planned fleetmap changes and radio reprogramming that are supposed to take place soon, but I am not positive on that.
mike

Post by mike »

I heard that too during dispatches.
Brian

Post by Brian »

It was posted the other week on the Northzone website.
The dispatch talkgroup is used to notify stations and units of calls for service and coordinate
the day-to-day activities of each agency. All alarms shall routinely be dispatched and
announced on the dispatch talkgroup. Once dispatched, field unit(s) will communicate with
dispatch and/or other units on the assigned tactical talkgroup/channel.
The latest revision to EOM 203.00 ( 3-12-08 ) has been posted
(PDF) http://sdnorthzone.net/PDF/EOM/sections/203.pdf

Make sure you read the other changes too! It will come in handy soon.
BLS_EMT_192

Post by BLS_EMT_192 »

why did they decide to change how dispatching was being done also i would think that dispatch would not want to hear units just talking to each other that is why there was a cmd channel used so when units needed to talk to dispatch they would use that. also it looks like they are adopting pretty much orange countys radio plan in regards to using the military phonetic. and renamming the channels.
Brian

Post by Brian »

This what Don wrote about the changes on SanDiegoScan Yahoo Group.

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 5:36 PM
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoScan] Re: Northcomm Procedure changes?

The operational model comes from Orange County and from Phoenix, where the dispatchers are an integral part of the fire ground.

While I have not monitored NorthCom in the last couple of days, it sounds like they may be 'early implementing' the 2008 fire fleetmap revision, which will move every department in San Diego County on to a common radio fleetmap (with room for individual agency requirements).
The new version will be on a "Zone / Mode" matrix naming basis (such as "Tac 3N").
Don
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SanDiegoScan/message/1785