"Images of America...Cleveland National Forest" Bo

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
Alain

"Images of America...Cleveland National Forest" Bo

Post by Alain »

Hello All,

Just slightly off-topic.

My wife and I went to COSTCO this evening and while she was shopping, I went [as I always do] over to the books. Guess what I found!? The above titled book for $12.49.

This book is fabulous. I moved to San Diego in 1972; I must admit that I don't recall ever hearing about wildfires in those early years or paying much attention, as a resident of North Park.

I have not had the opportunity to read the book yet, but just looking at some of the photos, and the captions, astounds me.

For example, there is a photo taken from Point Loma [page 15] documenting a wildfire from 1910. The header and plumes of smoke cover about 90 degrees of the horizion. The fire looks like it could be in [what is now known as] Valley Center.

Lastly, the "Ramona Fire of 1913" [page 41] is a remarkable photo. The caption states that, "...Southern California fires were well documented since the 1870's, but not until the disastrous fire season of 1910 {which burned nearly 5 million acres...].

Now, San Diego County is [now] 2.7 million acres, don't have figures at hand as to the size in 1910. If my math is correct, the fire season of 1910 decimated an area in Southern California almost TWICE the size of our county!

Staggering statistic.

All The Best,

Alain :shock:
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Alain,

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a book I will pick up.