Air Attack 690

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
ChrisK

Air Attack 690

Post by ChrisK »

I've just (11:10 AM on 8/1) been hearing Air Attack 690 radio testing with San Diego Fire on SDFD Command 7.

I've never heard that particular designator for an Air Attack before.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Wonder if it's the new lead plane that the County's supposed to be receiving this month?
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I think you've got it. I just looked it up and the lead plane is supposed to be an Aero Commander 690. Also, today is August 1st and that would be a logical day for them to start. I guess they'll spend a month getting used to the area.

On the other hand, the same article said that the Super Scoopers are Canadair C-145's, and they're actually CL-415's.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I wonder where they're planning to fill those "Super Scoopers." Most of the big lakes around here are pretty low and some of them have boats on them.
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

I still think the Board of Supervisors are going to get a rude awakening about how they're wasting taxpayer's money on the scoopers. Chris has a very valid point, Where will they fill these planes? Would Skycranes do a better job with easier fill locations and almost as much water capabilities?
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I think this whole thing is just a political stunt by Ron Roberts. He wants to be able to tell the voters how he saved them from fires. What happens if there is another fire and these planes don't do anything useful? I'll bet Roberts won't take credit for them then.

I don't know why they need the lead plane that is costing $700,000 for 150 days. Didn't Cal Fire and USFS give up on using lead planes? I think the last time one was used here it collided with the tanker it was supposed to be leading (on approach to Ramona) and killed everybody on board both planes.

I think they would have been better off spending the money on a couple of big helicopters.
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

Chris,
I think the USFS is still using Lead Planes, or at least their contractors (Aero Union and Minden Air) are. I've stopped at the San bernardino Tanker Base a couple of times in the last few years and been able to shoot photos of them.

Duane
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I heard Air Attack 690 dispatched to a fire today (3:45 PM 8/3) along with Copter 538, which is a Forest Service contract helicopter. The primary Air Attack (310) was already on the way to another reported fire.

690 was canceled when a unit got on the scene and didn't see anything. Copter 538 was diverted to the first fire.

So, apparently 690 is already acting as a back-up air attack.
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

Just confirming the plane is at Ramona??
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

Yes