Air Attack 690

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

AA690 is a Aero Commander 690
N6766J

Post by N6766J »

OUTLAW wrote:AA690 is a Aero Commander 690
That was what we were initially told, but we met one of their pilots who told us it was a King Air. I have not seen the plane. Anyone have a pix?
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

The rest of the story, as many of you are aware the contract for the county air attack was for a aero commander 690, The 690 was not available at the beginning of the contract and a Cessna 421 was used in its place note this is a piston powered aircraft which cost considerably less to purchase and operate and dose not perform as well as the 690 or as reliable. Finally 690 (N690RA) arrives and participates in the fiesta Island media event. Not long after this its engine became damage from ingesting a rag that was being used to stop oil running from the prop into the air intake of the engine. basically the seal was out. The decision was made to keep operating the aircraft until it reached its inspection time and replace the seal at that time.The company that owns the flight certification is not the company that has the contract for the county. The two companies are at odds and I believe it's unlikely the 690 will return this season. Meanwhile a aero commander 500B (N1165Z) is being used. While training in North County, WITH THE AIRPLANE ON THE GROUND,WITH THE PILOT OUT OF THE AIRPLANE the pilot suffered a heart attack. This is why air attacks 690 was unavailable for a few days.

The aero Commander 500b is a piston powered aircraft. Again cheaper and not as reliable as the 690. if anyone is trying to identify an aircraft simply use the N numbers or C numbers and googled them. You can find photos and information about ownership.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I heard air attack 690 yesterday and today call in to Monte Vista for flight following for "carding flights." I guess they must be qualifying a new pilot.

During today's flight they were dispatched to a reported vegetation fire along the I-8. No fire was found, but 690 did recon the reported location to check for one before continuing with their original mission.
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

They are carding the CL 415's crews they change out after 28 days.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I noticed a couple of times earlier this week that the Cal Fire morning report only listed one CL415. Did they have a maintenance issue with one of those too?
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

Yep
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

The latest air attack 690 is out of service for maintenance. I think that if the county is going to do this next year they should contract with somebody who can get more reliable aircraft.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Look at the flightware log for N690RA
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N690RA

Looks like it went back to Mesa,Arizona on Oct 16th.

umm......