Miramar Crash Truck Going To Ramona

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
Rescue Pooh

Miramar Crash Truck Going To Ramona

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Did anyone hear or know why Crash 52 from Miramar was going to Ramona? My dad and I went out to Ramona today to get some pics of the P3's and the Super Scoopers on our way back we saw Crash 52 heading into Ramona. This was around 20 after 12. We also saw a Type 3 from Sedona, AZ drive by as we were eating lunch.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

A Ramona engine is usually sent to the airport when there are sustained tanker operations going on. Maybe they decided they didn't want to use one of their engines during the red flag period and asked Miramar for help instead. Just a guess.

I was at the airport this morning about 9 to 9:45. The wind was really blowing. No tanker operations were in progress, even though there was an active fire in Campo. I heard it was too windy for them there. Air Attack 330 landed about 9:40.

Did you see that the S-61 helitanker was parked on a pad at the far west end of the airport, beyond the tower? That's the first time I've seen that.
Rescue Pooh

Post by Rescue Pooh »

Thanks Chris. When we were there all the tankers were parked and then 330 and the Super Scoopers took off, but returned after about 5-10 mins. Just after that T-25 taxied to the runway and T-00 started up, but shut down before taxiing and T-25 returned before taking off. All the helos were gone when we were there.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

AA 330 and the 'scoopers were dispatched to a fire north of Rancho Bernardo, but were canceled before they took off (except for 330) which did orbit over the fire briefly. Copters 1 & 2 made several drops on the fire, but it was pretty much out by the time the tankers would have gotten there.

I though all of the helicopters were gone when I was there too, until I drove down by the tower and saw the S-61 on a separate pad west of there.
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

Actually, ever since the "mid-air" collision of a lead plane and DC-6 in 1994 I believe during heavy sustained tanker ops a crash rig from Miramar is requested for standby at Ramona.
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

The midair collision occurred, June 21, 1995. the collision occurred between a DC-4 and a Barron 58-P. The Miramar crash truck were used, because the Ramona engine was part of a strike team that was sent to Camp Pendleton.
RescueKujo

Post by RescueKujo »

Thanks Outlaw. I was on a volunteer engine on our way up Sunrise Highway for structure protection from a fire coming up the backside of the mountain from Butterfield Ranch when we heard the calls going out on Monte Vista.