Witch Fire And Potrero Fire

Ongoing discussions regarding other fire dispatching in San Diego County including Heartland, NorthComm, Monte Vista, etc. Topics about general wildland fire scanning are also welcome here.
XTS5K

Re: Witch Fire And Potrero Fire

Post by XTS5K »

Regarding the Spanish speakers, I also heard them on CMD5, but they weren't talking about anything fire related at the time I monitored. I think it was someone in Mexico using the frequency for other purposes. Yes, I speak Spanish. Pissed me off the freq was being used in the way it was, but, who's to control Mexico...ay ay ay.
BrianStark wrote:
For CDF frequencies, CDF CMD 5 (151.37) and 136 LNP (170.075) are active today with Spanish speakers -- my Spanish is pretty good, but they were talking very quickly for me to follow everything. I did catch some references to Escondido though. I was monitoring from Mt. Soledad for a brief while this morning...

Brian
mike

Post by mike »

What frequencies or talkgroups are being used on the Harris Fire?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

mike wrote:What frequencies or talkgroups are being used on the Harris Fire?
Harris is being run on CDF CMD 2 (VHF)

I heard some of the CV stuff on SMA C2

It's really scattered around... A lot of the out of area help won't have any of our local stuff and are operating amongst the strike teams on the WHITE 1,2,3 .

Harris air (at least on monday) was on CDF AG
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

It may have been too long since our trunking equipped firefighters have had to use the VHF simplex channels...

Last night I heard a San Diego engine directed to communicate with an out of town engine on 'white 3'. After patiently explaining to him that white 3 was on the 'vhf radio', his next comeback was 'yes, but what repeater on white 3?'. Duh... Simplex, fella, simplex.
mike

Post by mike »

Tks w6pix :)
BrianStark

Re: Witch Fire And Potrero Fire

Post by BrianStark »

XTS5K wrote:Regarding the Spanish speakers, I also heard them on CMD5, but they weren't talking about anything fire related at the time I monitored. I think it was someone in Mexico using the frequency for other purposes.
I tend to agree... my wife is from mexico city -- she drew the same conclusion after I had her listen to the radio traffic yesterday.

Brian
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

I did some searching at Radio Reference, and it appears that all of the western states have the channels we call White 1,2&3. They call them something else, but I don't know if they are "nationwide" or not.

I also heard traffic early on that said that the engine in question was at staging having their radio cloned. Would an out of area unit have a radio cloned to the local channels, then clone it back when they are relieved to return to their home :?:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

SDnative wrote:I did some searching at Radio Reference, and it appears that all of the western states have the channels we call White 1,2&3. They call them something else, but I don't know if they are "nationwide" or not.
Here in Illinois, 154.2650 is IFERN, a statewide mutual aid channel ... 154.2800 is White fireground and 154.2950 is Blue fireground. Check out http://www.mabasradio.org for more info.

On a sidenote, the lack of a countywide fire department in San Diego has NOTHING on the little islands of fire agencies out in this neck of the woods :shock:
mike

Post by mike »

Does anyone know what fire departments were fighting the fires?
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Might be better to ask which fire depts WEREN'T fighting the fires... considering the personnel numbered in the thousands out there.