Mini discone

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
wxsby

Mini discone

Post by wxsby »

Has anyone tried the mini discone HRO is selling? I'm interested in it for my RV. It comes with several mounting options, including a mag mount. Comments?
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Can't say anything about that particular antenna...

This an "all band" discone?

Remember the old saying. A discone receives all bands equally poorly..

LOL

What do you plan to listen to with it?
wxsby

Post by wxsby »

As in, 'a vertical radiates equally poorley in all directions'. I know. What I listen to depends on where we go. During some of the fires we didn't have electricity at home so we moved into the motorhome, and obviously needed to listen to fire. Some places there isn't much around except the local airport so I listen to that. Some places there is lots of railroad activity and sometimes the local PD has stuff going on. I haven't kept track of GMRS, but from what I've gathered from this site, there might be activity there.

I think it is a Diamond 220, or something similar, and was advertised as 100-1600 megs or some such nonsense. I would like to find something better than I have for general scanning when in the motorhome. I built a multi-element porcupine with each element cut to a different band. It has it's limits and according to my wife, is hideous.

I need to keep it low and that mini discone looks only about 8" to a foot high, without the top element. I really need to keep it under about 14" so it stays below the tops of the AC units or it's likely to get scraped off by limbs. It is currently on a mag mount but I'd like to change that, too. The original idea was for it to be able to get knocked over without breaking, but that happens too often and I have to climb up there and put it back too often.

:?:
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

I've used the Radio Shack DC to Daylight discone, actually one in the attic now...

Will do fine for stuff like CDF VHF.. Poor on 800, perhaps in association with line loss in my cases, 50+ ft.

so-so on lo-band VHF, like CHP. However , I modified it and welded a 39mHz whip to the top and that helped a lot.

I think it will do all right for you esp. considering you'll have a short cable run.
wxsby

Post by wxsby »

What would anybody recommend as a very good mobile, all band antenna? No mag-mounts, will be attached to an aluminum angle on top of the motorhome. Must be under 24" high. Wife says homebrew porcupine must go.