Scanner recomendations?

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
MJM2508

Scanner recomendations?

Post by MJM2508 »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could recomend a decent digital scanner that I can use for the RCS system. It dosent need to be the most expensive model. The main use will be for my wife and kids, like to listen to what Im doing at work. Any help or recomendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
MJM2508

GRE PSR500

Post by MJM2508 »

i was just looking at the GRE PSR500. Is this somthing you would recomend or is there something cheaper that will get the job done. Like I said im not going to need to scan 100's of channells, I would be maybe 10 or so. Thanks
mike

Post by mike »

I own a pro-96 I use but I would recommend a PSR500 or PSR600 with everyone going digital and by 2011 or 2012 the county will have a project 25 standard all digital system 700/800 MHZ and you will need a radio that can monitor both but for scanning digital now a pro-96 works pretty good too. :D
brandon
Site Admin

Post by brandon »

The PSR-500 (handheld) or PSR-600 (base) are great choices. The scanner handles digital very well, some cool features such as programming MultiSite systems (perfect for the RCS), P25 NAC, TRS radio ID display and tons of other stuff that can be customized. The only thing I don't like about GRE scanners is the fact they suffer big time when driving past a cell site.

Another good scanner model is the Uniden BCD996T/396T. These are the better choice if your going to be mobile in high RF areas, permanently mount in vehicle or plan to use an external antenna.

If you just want cheap go with a used Pro-96. I see them go for $250-$350 on RadioReference.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Keep in mind the Pro-96 won't do 700 MHz trunk tracking (which is where the county is headed if I recall).

Personally I can't say enough good things about the 396 and 996 from Uniden. I much prefer the User Interface on the Uniden models to the GRE ones. I also prefer the dynamic memory model of the Unidens to the "virtual scanner" paradigm of the GREs :)
MJM2508

Post by MJM2508 »

Thank you guys for your input. There are a lot to choose from and they are expensive, so I didnt want to make the wrong choice. I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks again.