Reception Problems what to do??

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
wizard

Reception Problems what to do??

Post by wizard »

I have a bcd 396t all I want to listen to is the National city pd its the only channel im interested in. I live in chula vista near the hilltop middle school. I cant get a good signal it keeps breaking up and is choppy. So I went to the store in clairmont that i bought the scanner from. I bought a new antenna srh77ca. Still no better I dont know what to do next?? any suggestions?
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

I listen to CVPD and NCPD clearly (living in the bonita area) and get a crystal clear signal. You are right in the middle of urban area and should have no problem with signals (unless possibly you're near a NEXTEL antenna). One problem I had when I first bought my 396 was that I had the attenuator on and it was messing up the reception and sound quality terribly. Make sure it is turned off. Still having problems?
wizard

Post by wizard »

Well thank you I tried your suggestion but still getting all broken up signals I just dont know what to do next. Im wondering if i should get rid of this portable and go with a base station type scanner that way I could mount an antenna outside I guess that is my only option. :(
mike

Post by mike »

I have a radioshack pro 96 and I can hear cvpd and ncpd fine with it they come in good im in the southern part of chula vista.
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

You might also need to adjust the P25 threshold level. Check the manual for how to do the adjustment.
wizard

Post by wizard »

I have the p25 set to auto.
SDnative

Post by SDnative »

You can still adjust the level. You might be close to one of the transmitters and are being over powered (modulated). I don't remember how to change it off the top of my head, but it is in the manual. I had to adjust El Cajon (where I am) because I could not hear them the same as the Sheriff.
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Maybe I missed it, but just to check, you ARE listening to the RCS South loop, right? That's where National City is, now.
dbelleperc

Post by dbelleperc »

PStuart wrote:I listen to CVPD and NCPD clearly (living in the bonita area) and get a crystal clear signal. You are right in the middle of urban area and should have no problem with signals (unless possibly you're near a NEXTEL antenna). One problem I had when I first bought my 396 was that I had the attenuator on and it was messing up the reception and sound quality terribly. Make sure it is turned off. Still having problems?
I too live in bonita and I am about 300 feet from a T-mobile, Sprint, Nextel, and AT&T antenna and I have 99% signal strength on my Pro-96 and hear everyone clear on the City's and RCS south system. FYI.
PStuart

Post by PStuart »

dbelleperc wrote:
PStuart wrote:I listen to CVPD and NCPD clearly (living in the bonita area) and get a crystal clear signal. You are right in the middle of urban area and should have no problem with signals (unless possibly you're near a NEXTEL antenna). One problem I had when I first bought my 396 was that I had the attenuator on and it was messing up the reception and sound quality terribly. Make sure it is turned off. Still having problems?
I too live in bonita and I am about 300 feet from a T-mobile, Sprint, Nextel, and AT&T antenna and I have 99% signal strength on my Pro-96 and hear everyone clear on the City's and RCS south system. FYI.
I've heard about others not being able to receive signal when near the antennas. My old place of employment had a nextel antenna on the roof and I got no signal in or around that whole property. It affected the City trunk system much more than the RCS though.