Radio Shack PRO-2050 Scanner

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
MEL

Radio Shack PRO-2050 Scanner

Post by MEL »

Hello, and help
I want to enter The San Diego Sheriff's RCS for the South Zone, I already had Radio Shack enter the San Diego Police Dept, freq's in plus all the tac channels.

I was told by an old coot (no harm meant) that the SDSO radio's Motorola
XTS 300 w9 freq's could not be entered into a scanner.

I followed the directiions in loading a trunk freq but I am getting no signal on my system. I have access to the Freqs but which one is dispatch . I am missing something. (brains????)

Please advise, the guy from Radio Shack is Gone, now they want to charge me to do it.

MEL
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

The Pro-2050 is an analog only trunking scanner.

While you can enter the RCS south zone, you will not be able to monitor almost all of the Sheriff's talkgroups, as they are digital. The fire talkgroups are mostly analog, and can be listened to, though, on that scanner.

Trunking systems do not have 'frequencies' where you listen, you enter ALL the frequencies, or just the control channels, depending on your scanner, and any given 'talkgroup', like, say, Imperial Beach SDSO Dispatch, may appear on any of the frequencies at any time, as the frequencies are shared by all talkgroups.

You can montor the SDSO, but you need a digital trunking scanner to do so, usually that will be a PRO-96, PRO-2096, BC-396, or BC-996.
MEL

Reccomendations for scanner purchase

Post by MEL »

I am interested in purchasing a digital scanner, where in San Diego (besides Radio Shack) can I find them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

MEL
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

Good- Ham Radio Outlet - http://www.hamradio.com/web/stores/sandie.html

Bad (do not visit under any circumstances)- The Mud Shack (see thread on this forum about it)
MEL

reply scanner ino

Post by MEL »

Thanks,

I wasn't sure they were still in business. I'll check them out.

mel
mike

Post by mike »

I always get mine at radioshack and I have looked on ebay and found a few I only bid on one on ebay from new york it was a uniden bc80xlt and suprisingly it was in good working condition after all the long travel :)
Batman2150

Post by Batman2150 »

I have four of the PRO2050's. One for SDPD, one for SDFD, one for RCS south analog and one for RCS north analog. They work fine.