can 2 way radios detect the presence of scanner

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
chillim

can 2 way radios detect the presence of scanner

Post by chillim »

Heyall,

So I just started scanning and I am bit paranoid about the whole legality of listening in on other people's conversations. Any hoot, it would ease my mind if I knew that others could not detect my portable scanner. Can 2 way radios pick up my signal from the scanner? Can other scanners pick up my signals?

Fearless Romano
mike

Post by mike »

Not that im aware of but public safety i.e some police and fire departments know people have scanners but I dont think they would know your monitoring unless you go to an incident with your scanner which I dont recommend you do.Also phones can interfere with your scanner if your monitoring a certain frequency and depending how close you are.
jp186

Post by jp186 »

Since a scanner does not emit a signal, I see no reason why another radio could detect one.
N6ATF

Post by N6ATF »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_RAFTER
Since most radio receivers are of the superhet design, they typically contain oscillators which generate a radio frequency signal in the range of 455 kHz above or sometimes below the frequency to be received. There is always some radiation from such receivers, and in the initial stages of RAFTER, MI5 simply attempted to locate clandestine receivers based on picking up the superhet signal with a quiet sensitive receiver that was custom built. This was not always easy because of the increasing number of domestic radios and televisions in people's homes.
It was described in the late MI5 officer Peter Wright's book, Spycatcher.

So possible, but not bloody likely.