mobile scaning

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
bravo 1

mobile scaning

Post by bravo 1 »

Hi i was just wondering if it is legal to have a scanner setup in your car and also does any one know how i can get my hands on a Motorola ASTRO Spectra radio. also how much do they cost also do u have to have a special licsen to get one or even a radio that operates on the VHF or UHF band. Because im looking to install a couple of radios in my truck to monitor a couple of differnt bands. mostly interested in the 800 mhz.

thank you

Post by 318 »

Look on Ebay, but Astro Spectras are $900-1200. You would need to make sure you get one with the correct frequency split and the correct Flashcode for what you want to do with it. You also need expensive, extra 'equipment' and hard-to-get software to program it. You'd be better off with a digital scanner. You don't need a license to listen to anything. Just need licenses to transmit. (I believe it is legal in California to have a scanner in your car, even if it's not, no-one is going to give you a hard time for it.)

~318
Batman2150

scanners in cars

Post by Batman2150 »

Hey Bravo-1,

If it were illegal to have a scanner in a car in California Batman would not be here to post replys. :lol: :lol: :lol: Kentucky and Tennessee have very restrictive laws against scanners, contrary to federal law, but nobody there can afford to take those states to court on it. :evil: Michigan and one other state have cleverly outlawed scanners in cars by putting it in their vehicle code. Again, nobody has bothered to take them on. :evil:

Probably the only reason it's not illegal here in "Californistan" is because the pot smoking child molesters that make up the majority of our state legislature hate cops just a little bit more than they hate the public. Yeah, the ones who's campaigns are bankrolled by the police officer's union. :?

You can listen to anything legally in Califonia except cellular and cordless phones, in your house or in your car.

If you get a Motorola Astro radio make sure it's programmed NOT to affiliate with the system. (The radio will transmit automatically if it's programmed to affiliate, which would put you in violation of FCC rules every time you turn it on).

Happy Listening,

Batman
fotoguy

Scaning laws in CA

Post by fotoguy »

Here is a good artical on CA laws in reguards to scanners and radios, Only in LA City / County do you need a permit, that I know.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtlaws_oct03.html
Batman2150

LA LAW?

Post by Batman2150 »

Well scanner fans,
virtually every car on the road is in violation of LA's 1944 short wave receiver law. 1600 - 2500 KHz was the main police band from the 1920's 'till about the late 50's. SDPD was on 2450 KHz until I think 1962. LAPD finally left 1680 KHz and went to VHF in 1964.
In the early 90's the FCC extended the AM broadcast band up into the old unused police band.
All AM radios now have extended AM coverage up to 1740 KHz. So, LAPD can pull over any car manufactured after 1993 and write them a ticket, if they want to.

Scandus Monitorus Shortwavum,

Batman

P.S.
The guy who got busted was TRANSMITTING on police frequencies and causing INTERFERENCE to police frequencies. The FCC has laws to take care of this. And, if you use your scanner to commit crimes you deserve to go to jail!