FM Transmitter?

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
dangitdoug

FM Transmitter?

Post by dangitdoug »

http://www.myirock.com/servlet/Detail?no=76

Does anybody know if this will work with handheld scanners?

Doug K
w6pix

Post by w6pix »

Yes, it will

I've used FM Xmitters on scanners before just fine. However, check all those channels it works on and make sure they are clean in your area.

i bought one of those devices with 4 channels, 88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7 and when I tried it, depending on where I'm at in SD, there is something, at lease a weak signal already there. Sometimes the low power of the device can overcome the on-channel traffic due to the close proximity of the xmitter to your car antenna, sometimes, not quite.
hodad200

Post by hodad200 »

this is what i did (for casual listening in the car). better quality than a fm transmitter, very inexpensive, and always impresses my friends haha.
e30sd wrote:well a while back my bro gave me a bunch of stereo crap from his pimpin old valiant. i took the p960mp deck and threw it in with the speakers i already head (alpine components blah and some rears) and jordan's old JL 300/4 amp. I love the setup, could use more bass, but cool for now.

anyhow being the news freak i am at work, surrounded by 10+ digital police radios, i picked up a used BC-250d with 25i APCO card. 200 bucks, no fuss, picks up all project25 digital transmissions, local fire/LEO etc. fun! listening to it in the car tho is kind of a bitch, with wind noise and the stereo etc.

so i had an idea (actually stole it from someone else but improved on it). another scanner guy used a tape adapter to 1/8" jack adapter and hooked up his scanner to the car speakers. i thought GREAT! but i have no tape deck. and the 960mp has no aux input.

but ebay saves the day. they have an IP-bus input (for changers, DVD, NAV etc) to RCA cable,

and it comes with an RCA to 3.5mm minijack cable too.

so now i can listen to my music and switch sources to listen to a swat or a shooting, amplified by the car stereo. oh yeah
SkipSanders

Post by SkipSanders »

Bear in mind that if you're trying to scan weak signals, the closeby FM transmitter can 'desense' your scanner, and cut its sensitivity, sometimes quite badly.