Uniden 396 Problems

This is the place to discuss generalized scanner questions and information for San Diego County. Whether it's radios, antennas, or other general scanner related topics, you can talk about it here.
jjwool

Uniden 396 Problems

Post by jjwool »

My 396 is not recognizing any power source other than battery. Doesn't see the home adapter or the adapter for use in your vehicle.

Also getting pops and crackles and interruption when listening to transmissions.

Probably have to send it back to Uniden.

Is anyone else having these problems? Just thought I'd ask before I send it to Uniden.

Tks for any replies.

Got my 396 back from Uniden today 8/11/07. According to them the problem was a broken pin from an antenna that was stuck in the BNC. They removed it. It now works fine. Just an FYI for anyone who has similar problems. I never even thought about a broken antenna pin!
Last edited by jjwool on Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkphotog1

Uniden 396

Post by jkphotog1 »

Make sure the switch in the back is set to alkaline or nicads that corresponds to the type of batteries that you have in the radio. Also, the interrupted signal could be caused by the close call feature enabled.
jjwool

Uniden 396 Problems

Post by jjwool »

Tks for the reply. Checked both as suggested, however no joy. So off to Uniden it went.

Got out my 250D to use in the meantime and managed to fall with it in hand. It was very handy!! It broke my fall, but now it doesn't work either. In breaking my fall the face of the scanner hit the floor face down and it appears the thumb wheel is broken also.

When my 396 comes back, the 250 goes somewhere for repair.

When it rains, it pours :cry:

Again, tks for the reply!
Control

Post by Control »

I know 2 others that had the same problem.

I keep my 396 as a backup, and it doesn't get much use.
I HOPE it doesn't go bad now that it's out of warranty!